View Single Post
Old 05-10-11, 02:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,772 Times in 775 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: living off the government ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post

Thing about these sorts of threads is that while everyone's carrying on about what he government gives them, others struggle to work for a living and deal with the work issues that being an ADHDers presents, and come to the forum for some support only to see threads like this. It kind of feels like a slap in the face. It feels like well I'm trying my heart out and you're just taking and rubbing our noses in it.
My hat is off to you for managing to earn a living despite your ADHD. I know all too well how difficult that is. ADHD can manifest itself all across the spectrum from mild to severe. Just because those who can't work ask if any help is available to them, that question is NOT a slap in the face of our more able members. It sounds to me that you just don't believe ADHD can be so severe as to interfere with functioning in the work place.

Take it from me, it can. I have been ADD all my life and up until my late 40's, I was able to compensate for it and hold down very responsible jobs. Unfortunately, when I was 47 I went through a year of chronic carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty home furnace. I had no idea what was happening - only that I was less and less capable of functioning. I was eventually forced to go on disability because the CO poisoning had made my ADHD symptoms so severe. I considered being forced onto disability a major defeat in my life.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people who do need disability but in Australia the disability recipients has blown out to be 50% more than the unemployment recipients. Those figures just don't seem right.
I am woefully ignorant of the Australian situation and cannot comment on it.

Quote:
What I do think is that if you are going to claim disability give something back too like how Crazygirl does with her volunteer work with the RSPCA and animal shelters. You never see her on here saying she's given up. She's always trying to do something (anything - studying, working) and give something back and she never gives up. I'm happy to support someone with that attitude but I feel somewhat aggreived when people get on here and start saying they can't be bothered anymore or that they 'need something to do with their time whilst on disability' (I found that thread a while back to be the most offensive).
Unless those on disability choose to post about what they may be doing, you have no idea of what is going on with most of us. Such sweeping generalizations as yours only create animosity on the board. The disabled here are under no requirement to explain their personal lives to a bunch of strangers on the Internet just so you won't be "offended."

Quote:
To be blunt when I'm struggling with work issues because of my ADHD the last thing I want to see is people lording it over us that they've got disability.

EVERYONE is capable of giving something back. It just seems that disability is a lifestyle choice for some who are capable of more and who are quite happy to let the working adhders pick up the slack of full time plus volunteer work while they do nothing.
Please give an example of someone "lording" it because they are on disability. I have been on this board for almost a year, and I have read no such posts. Personally, I am very envious of those able to work. I'd give anything to get off disability and the disabled people I know feel the same as I do.

And again, you have no idea what the disabled members of this board may be doing. I resent being told that I "do nothing" and am "quite happy" to "let working adhders pick up the slack."

It's bad enough that most NTers don't understand us, it is far worse when one of our own attacks us on a support board.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
demfabbones (05-11-11), ginniebean (05-19-17), Hyperman87 (05-10-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), salleh (05-10-11)