Thread: Paralysis
View Single Post
Old 02-13-19, 09:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paralysis

Me, myself and I have great debates about what to do with time. I admit I am a hopeless bargainer. i will bargain with myself until the cows come home. I have managed to turn it into a somewhat helpful tool. So if I have a list of calls to make (I save up all the unsavory ones because I dread it) i will decide what time I can make the first call so lets say an office opens at 9. I would be foolish to think I would be ready to call at 9. So I set two reminders on my phone. One to remind me to start the first call at 10 and one at 945 to remind me that its almost 10. I set two alarms. One at 1020 to sort of prep me and then one at like 955 to break the avoidance tactic I am currently using. Then I make the call. If I have like 4 of them I will do one, set the timer for 10 minutes and then do another. Before I even dial I have my notebook and pen ready and sit at the table or desk.During the time that the timer is running or between alarms I do whatever I want. Its usually something on the internet. What has helped me a lot was getting my sleep schedule down and very rigid so I always wake up super early and have like 2 hours to tool around the internet all morning before I have to deal with getting anyone off to work or school. I used this technique for dishes. I HATE them and it didnt even matter that they were bad without a dishwasher- up until about 1.5 years ago they were bad even with the dishwasher. So I started by breaking it up into ridiculous baby steps. I would get up and put all the silverware into a pot or vessel with soapy water to soak. I'd wait a little the unload. Then I would wait a little and load (all the silverware had soaked and was in a pot so I bent over only once to load it all). I would run it and soak whatever items I had to wash by hand. Then in a little bit I would hand wash and let airdry a bit. Then dry and put away. When I first started this a load of dishes was like an hour process. Now Its not that long. I soak the silverware, unload the dishes- rinse and reload, add the silverware and run it. I still may have to let the big things soak and come back to it. A lot of times I will say " I really want to watch this but let me just do the dishes first". Now I have zero problem with dishes and its routine.

This is kind of lame sounding to some people. But if you knew me you would know that dishes and laundry are my most hated chores. Its kind of ridiculous that I had to turn it into a process like that and after doing it and realizing it wasn't that hard..well I feel kind of dumb. But that whole reminder/timer/break process works for many things in my life.

I carried a watermelon?