View Single Post
Old 01-11-17, 02:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
He's using the term not as an adjunct to NPD, which I agree would be horrible, but as a way of noting that I've been very inwardly directed. That in the end is the the crux of what we're calling RSD: we get bogged down in our own perceptions of things so much that it's hard for us to see objective reality, especially when (without a diagnosis) objective reality sure does suggest that we're giant flaming sacks of crap.

In the end, just because you think you hate yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're not behaving narcissistically, at least from the common English language usage and not the clinical meaning.

As for further reading, I will once again plug "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid?". Chapter 3 talks about coping mechanism the undiagnosed use and how it affects us.
I think it's really important to be careful with notions of interchangeability ADHD is already so stigmatized, to begin to say that well over 90% of us display narcissistic traits, is deeply horrifying in this sense. Which is why I'd probably give this therapist a piece of my mind but also walk on out.

I work every day with people who have multiple diagnosis. These are people coming out of jails into care. I like my job, it's challenging and mentally stimulating for me. Being around people who are mentally ill, and many severely so, makes me really cautious about mis-attribution which I think this would be classified as. I can understand how APD could be attributed but there's just too many of us. I'm skeptical.