Thread: Speaking
View Single Post
Old 10-20-18, 07:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Speaking

Yes, I can relate. I get so very distracted by all the people, movement. I usually have a difficult time zeroing in on the topic. If I could prepare that might help but what I notice with others is they seem to be pretty smooth spontaneous vollyers of conversation, commentary, that just amazes and frustrates me. I'm very slow to process and also find it difficult to think straight, it seems like my emotions/fear stops me in my tracks too.
That's a good idea to prepare stories in advance, I think I would still mess it up though.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I have the same thing in where the bigger the group gets, the harder it is for me.

For me, it's because I can't handle too much external stimulus and the more people there are, the more easily I get distracted by all the paper rustling, movement, background conversations, etc
So I can do well in small group settings but can really bomb with larger groups. Preparation is what helps me the most. Having an outline and/or bullet points of things I want to talk about. Questions that I want to ask. This helped a lot at work.

In social gatherings, I have prepared in advance topics I want to shift conversations towards and have already planned some stories to say within those topics sometimes. I also have prepared different ways to shift people to those topics without them realizing I was trying to shift them.

That said, the preparing in advance helps me with group sizes up to about 20 people. Past that (like at the meetup group I went to recently with 60 people), I still can't think straight and can't hear people well or am slow to process what they were saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-20-18)