View Single Post
Old 04-20-17, 04:18 PM

busybeez is on a distinguished road
Re: Educational Autism brought up by school

He can read "okay". Certainly does better if someone reads to him and stops every so often to quiz him. What do you think of this character, where do you think they will go next, etc.
I just wasn't sure where an "autistic" diagnosis came from. Never heard of educationally autistic. Was kind of peeved since he hasn't been tested for anything.

We have a meeting in early May but seems like this process may take a while (30-45 school days) before we learn of an outcome. By that time he will be in the next grade level and still struggling.

He is our oldest so this is new to us and I want to give him the best chance at success. Just frustrated since it seems like the school is making up their mind before giving him a chance. Labeling him incorrectly can do more harm than good. I want him to be challenged but still able to grasp the concepts instead of being retaught at home.

I get frustrated feeling like he has missed out on certain learning opportunities that may have corrected or assisted him. Being in 6th grade seems late to be discovering this. I have never truly thought of a learning disability but knew he struggled. Always assumed it was just the ADHD. I want to be the advocate for my kiddo and seem him succeed. Feel like he has been passed on from year to year because it may have been "too much work" for the teachers to bring it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to busybeez For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-20-17)