View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 02:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
The term "predominantly" means "mostly" / "more so".

If someone has mostly hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5) and notably fewer inattentive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly hyperactive-impulsive presentation).

If someone has mostly inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and notably fewer hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly inattentive presentation).

If someone has both a lot of inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and a lot of hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5), then they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (combined presentation). Because their symptoms are more balanced (in terms of inattentive vs. hyperactive-impulsive), neither set of symptoms predominates (is more notable).
Thanks

I was thinking the same things.

So I worded the opening post question, “How many people diagnosed with ADHD have only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms (no inattentive symptoms)?”

I guess there is not anyone diagnosed with “only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms”

Which I think is what Fraser_0762 is partly saying.

M