View Single Post
Old 02-17-18, 07:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,860 Times in 14,138 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New doctor requiring re-evaluation?!? too exp.!?! (ADHD since childhood).)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theadogg32 View Post
I was diagnosed ADHD in elementary school and have been on & off medication during different periods of my life. I have never had difficulty getting back on stimulant medication by providing my full psychological report from childhood w/test results. I started taking Vyvanse approximately 3 years ago when I began my Master's program and just recently graduated with a 4.0!! My original nurse practitioner left the practice & transferred me to another NP but he is requiring me to be re-evaluated to confirm my ADHD diagnosis within 6 months or he will no longer prescribe my medication.
Is this NP associated with a psychiatrist or just a primary doc? You should be seeing a psychiatrist who understands adhd-not a PCP who is now your assigned person who doesnt understand it. And what about the evaluation costs 2500$? There are no tests for adhd. Its diagnosed mainly through a thorough history given by the patient and sometimes records(which you have) from childhood. What is the 2500$ for?

Quote:
I don't like switching doctors when I already have a relationship with a doctor who is willing to continue prescribing the VyVanse, which works well for me, but this re-evaluation is going to cost me like $2500 because my insurance through the affordable care act forced me to change companies and my current NP is out-of-network. My current NP states this is common "best practice" and that any doctor is going to likely require me to be re-evaluated because my diagnosis is so old, but the NP who saw me for the last 3 years never had any issues prescribing the medication!?!? Is this normal or should I begin searching for a new PCP and how does one go about doing that without being viewed in a negative manner. I understand the current abuse-related problems with stimulant medication. To further complicate the situation I received a job offer w/benefits that would become eligible after 90-days. However, the benefits plan through United Health Care lists Vyvanse as non-formulary (aka they aren't gonna pay for it) has a higher deductable & isn't even as good as the plan I currently have (premiums relatively the same after I lose my ACA tax credits). So many factors to consider: seems cheaper to stick with my current insurance even if I have to pay the $2500 b/c vyvanse costs 260/month vs. $75 w/current insurance. Can anyone help, most especially anyone from the Richmond, VA area?
Thats my main concern- what costs 2500$ about this eval and why this new guy is so hell bent on your having to spend it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-17-18), Tetrahedra (02-18-18)