View Single Post
Old 10-27-11, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hyperfocus, Good or Bad?

Hyper focus to me is just another process in the brain that is usually regulated. The non-ADHD brain can focus but it doesn't have this over focus that we tend to have. I'm not saying either type is superior. But we either have poor focus or over focus.

It's the feeling I get from hyper focus that makes me know it's not always a good thing. I can be sloppy with planning or don't plan at all, have no control over my emotions, am pushy and non-empathic and am desperate to reach a goal that seems trivial. Usually I'm wanting to get reactions from people on Facebook. I will do these elaborate projects and when I'm up to uploading the photograph I just think this was a waste of time. But what I posted on Tumblr got 233 notes. Gotta love Doctor Who fans.

It's not always a waste of time though. Moving house is one thing I find it hard to prepare for, especially all the packing. This is where hyper focus has helped me. It even helps me get through those boring post-med late afternoons.

Hyper focus can be in my thoughts only and I can stay awake in bed just thinking over things. When I get these ideas out of nowhere that's when I feel hyper focus can be put to practical use, even though now in order to carry out my ideas meticulous planning needs to be put in place before jumping into it.

I have autism too and it's not just about obsessions, rather it's an umbrella term for many conditions in one. Intense interests are one part but I think the communication problems particularly the theory of mind dysfunction are an integral part. It has similarities to ADHD and more so with ADD but that failure to connect with people is a huge part. I think most frontal lobe disorders are part of the same disorder but if you're affected more in one area then they'll find the most suitable disorder to diagnose you with.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Wonderer (10-27-11)