View Single Post
Old 01-05-18, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,865 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I left my son at home this morning without a ride to school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I had the same problem. At age 8 I told my son he was going to start to be really stinky due to hormones and it was very important for him to take a shower every day. Our new morning routine was then:

1. Wake him up
2. Stand there until he stumbles into the shower
3. Make sure you hear the shower go on
4. Allow 30 minutes for shower
5. Knock on the door when he needs to be out in 10 minutes..this was usually when my son would wake up, because yes he was sleeping in the tub with the shower on, and do his business.

I alternated bringing his clothes into the bathroom at the 10 minute warning and letting him pick out his clothes, depending on how well he did on time if he picked his own clothes out. After the shower was brought into the morning routine it actually went pretty smoothly. I can also say that my 8 year old daughter now smells way worse than her 15 year old brother! He still on occasion misses the bus but he has the Uber app for cold/rainy days and his own two feet for the other days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I'm not a fan of bringing him breakfast. He's a child, not an invalid. There is no reason he can't get up out of bed and get his own breakfast.

I don't get the idea of leaving a kid in bed to wake up slowly for 20, 30, 60 minutes....who gets that in the real world? Why set a kid up to a pattern like that?
He has the same reason for not getting up and getting his breakfast as for
not getting up and taking a shower ... adhd.

I'm not seeing the distinction between these two situations.

I've seen many recommendations for setting an alarm to take meds, go back
to sleep for another half an hour, then have an alarm for getting up once the
meds have kicked in. Seems to work better.

But ... the meds can interfere with appetite so getting some breakfast along
with meds sounds like a good idea.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-05-18), namazu (01-05-18)