View Single Post
Old 06-04-17, 05:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,288 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does my child have ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunastar11 View Post
I would say thise would be the only categories that would drive me over the edge to take my child to be evaluated for meds. Having little social ability and under performing in school are most important. Otherwise I wouldn't mess around with meds especially at such a young age. ADHD meds are so strong. The only reason why I think doctors can so easily prescribe them to children is because these doctors have no experience taking the actual drugs themselves. It's ludicrous. You know a lot of mentail illness and just illness in general stems from the gut. There could be genetic food allergies and intolerances within your family explaining a lot of the mental illness incl anxiety ADHD bipolar disorder etc. I have very little knowledge on autism so I am not downgrading your other son's autism to a food allergy. However check diet changes for ADHD kids. it's worth the Google.
No offense but I strongly disagree with this. Its not just school grades and social skills that are impairments. If school grades are being used as some sort of barameter to gauge impairments, then a lot of adhd kids would have gone untreated and suffer. Alot of us did well in school all of the time, some of the time or none of the time. Grades and adhd IMO should not even be in the same sentence because IMO they can be subjective. I also get tired of the narrative that doctors are just out to drug children willy nilly because they would rather just drug a child then help the child. This has not been my experience. To say that someone could have a food intolerance that could be responsible for a mental illness is insulting. I have a mental illness aside from adhd and I can assure you that all of the dietary changes I have tried have never treated my mental illness the way meds and therapy have.
I am not saying those things should be ignored but in no way do I believe they should be the primary treatment for any mental illness or adhd. There isnt as much evidence behind food allergy and intolerances as their is behind medication and therapy, and I also do not believe it boils down to some conspiracy between the doctors and pharma companies. I dont believe these companies have the vested interest in kids to nefariously work to drug them rather than help them.

I can say that medication saved my son's life and if you are interested, there is a sticky about it in children's diagnosis.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.