Thread: Work friends?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-12, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work friends?

Why don't you see if everyone wants to go out for dinner or drinks one Friday night after you all get off work? Hanging out goes both ways... why do they have to be the ones to initiate with you? Maybe they're just being friendly with the new folks, and your own anxiety has alienated you. I'm not blaming you or saying you did anything wrong, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here... sometimes when we have anxieties about our relationships with others, we will perceive a situation in a way that feeds into our anxiety when that's really not the case. Those guys could just be being friendly to the new hires, not intentionally trying to blow you off.

Inviting everyone out to a night of drinks and dinner would be a great way to get everyone hanging out together, and open up the friend circle to include everyone. That way you know you've extended your hand to all, and if they don't want to hang out, then that's their problem. At least you'll know you tried. If you never try then you're just letting your anxiety get the best of you.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following User Says Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-30-12)