View Single Post
Old 10-27-16, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: helping him stick to something

I'm projecting too, but I have a different kind of projection

I'm guessing he probably has initiation impairment but does not even understand that problem himself. (This is a common problem for ADHD people, but research/resources/treatment have almost no acknowledgement of it.)

It's quite possible he already has one or more things he is just as passionate about as you are about your art, but due to his symptoms, it's very difficult for him to be diligent toward those goals. (There is a weird ADHD stereotype that says your disabilities magically disappear when you care about something enough, but it doesn't seem to be so.) The initial enthusiasm for starting a new hobby/project often causes enough urge to action to overcome the initiation impairment, but it's not sustainable long term. For normal folks, you can keep working on goals after the enthusiasm wears off, when the project is frustrating, etc. It may take some willpower, but not as much.

He could theoretically overcome initiation impairment through sheer force of will, but he's probably already doing that just to handle normal life responsibilities. So having to force himself to work on "optional stuff" is almost impossible, and if he does manage, he's going to feel miserable, and he'll probably feel pretty bad about the project/hobby he's making himself work on.

I'm pressed for time right now, but I'll see if I can write more later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-27-16), namazu (10-27-16)