View Single Post
Old 10-28-16, 12:23 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: helping him stick to something

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinningsoul View Post
If I could be adding to the problem, that is one thing. But I'm really sure he had this problem before we started dating. Seriously dude. I'm being honest here. He has told me about his past and his depression. There's a possibility that he does things to please me, but not on the large scale you are thinking about.
It's not just possible, it's pretty likely.

Quote:
This makes sense. That's good feedback. If you have a specific example of how to talk about this stuff without normalsplaining it, I'd like to hear it.
I think this idea really was me drifting off topic. However, IMO it boils down to this:

There are certain things that you always know you can count on, because they're the same for everyone. Stop counting on those things. If necessary, pretend he's a friendly being from a far-away planet who has disguised himself as a human. Learn about what life is like for him.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.