View Single Post
Old 06-12-12, 01:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: science, math, or physics background ?

I was pretty much discouraged from anything I was interested in doing by my father. In retrospect, I was one of only three students in my middle school that qualified for advanced math classes (talk about individualized attention!) and took Honors-track everything through High School and graduated with impressive grades and test scores.

However, because I was somehow unable to read my father's mind and find out which of his expectations I wasn't living up to took top priority, I ended up studying Spanish and drifting around completely unrelated jobs until getting married and staying home with kids.

Once it finally got through to me that I wasn't as stupid as my father had told me I was, and had to brush up on things so I could help with homework my kids were bringing in from their Advanced Placement classes, I started gorging myself on information about biology, genetics, neurology, and learning how to weigh the value of evidence. Not nearly as good as a formal education and/or a career, but I do regularly check myself to see if it's genuine knowledge on my part, or just the Dunning-Krueger Effect in action. . .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-12-12), Drewbacca (06-12-12)