View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,194 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So you want to be an Astronaut?

Very thoughtful and provocative post. Thanks for sharing it! You wrote what almost seems as a deep poem, or a kinda Zen poem.

The initial 40-second impression ... I dunno. I in some ways am a slow social learner. But even I am aware that I have met plenty of people in my life that initially I liked or disliked and then over time I formed a dramatically different view of them.

I have a close friend now that when I was first introduced to her--I wanted to ignore her ... I tried to ignore her. But she was persistent in wanting to talk to me. Well, we started talking. These days, I see her as one of the deepest and smartest people I know. And I so look forward to talking to her.

Frankly, I no longer trust my 40-second impression--even if it's a strong one. I don't think I'm alone in this. Sometimes I do pay careful attention to my first impressions--when I sense that someone is alarming or dangerous. I definitely pay attention to that feeling.

Some of us are lucky in that we make "good" first impressions. Some of us are unlucky that way.

What impresses the heck outta me now is seeing a number of people who don't get demoralized by the fact that they make "bad" first impressions. These folks keep going and doing their thing, and over time ... their seriousness or creativity or power ... whatever you wanna call it ... comes through ... and others update their impressions.

One reason these resilient people are able to push forward so impressively is that they don't interpret initial coldness or dismissal from others as "final" or "a failure." In fact, some these folks seem to know that they make weak or poor first impressions. So they realize that to make friends or contacts or whatever, they have to keep connecting with others. And somehow they do this without resentment about how people initially reacted to them.

These folks blow me the @XX% away. These see options following "failure," that I often miss.

Just a few random thoughts ... Probably doesn't contradict what you think ... I just got into a few of the weeds.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (03-03-18)