View Single Post
Old 06-30-18, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,082 Times in 12,171 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flooding - is it really caused by ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I might be able to buy that ADHD could possibly cause flooding (though still not sold) but it's really hard to embrace this idea that emotional dysregulation is a core symptom of ADHD.

If it were, why is it that not a single DSM listed symptom of ADHD is caused by emotional dysregulation?

You'd think if it was a core symptom that every single one of us have then you'd see flooding, mood swings, etc - things related to emotional dysregulation as part of the DSM symptoms.

Is this just one "expert" says or is this something that is overall accepted. I also had thought some things Barkley said were garbage as well. I don't think just cause one or some experts think something, makes it true.
ADHD is a spectrum disorder. Very few have all of the symptoms, much less to
the same degree.

At this time, the DSM-5 lists emotional dysregulation as a separate disorder:
DMDD or Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder.

Emotional dysregulation may also play a part in impulsivity and depression.

And no, it's not just one expert saying this is a core feature of adhd ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110580/

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-01-18)