View Single Post
Old 11-03-18, 02:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Why do i seek/crave more meds when i'm upset or stressed!

That's a hard question. The way I'd think of it is that we often have expectations for what the meds are supposed to do. These expectations aren't necessarily accurate/rational, and we might not even be fully aware of the existence of these expectations. Nonetheless, these expectations can drive behavior.

I'm just putting some random suggestions out there for you to ponder! It could be that you have a physiological craving that gets triggered by negative emotions. Or perhaps you taking your meds is a way of gaining back control of the situation. Perhaps you subconsciously think the meds will solve your problems.

FWIW, I think that ADHD meds are underrated in their ability to reduce emotional dysregulation issues in ADHD people (the meds are not just for studying/work!). Is it possible that the meds actually do help you with the emotional issues?