View Single Post
Old 11-08-18, 01:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,398 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do i seek/crave more meds when i'm upset or stressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmg88 View Post
I've been on stimulants for ADD for 13 years. I was on adderall and currently on vyvanse.
I started taking my script more than prescribed 7 years ago because they wore off too soon.
now its just a mess of a probelm but one thing I realized is whenever I feel or experience a negative emotion like getting upset/overwhelmed/fight with parents or boyfriend I seek/crave/ take more of my meds even though it doesn't do anything??
I find that I even take more when I'm say bored at work which doesn't make sense because if theres nothing to do/focus on then I'm wasting it!
please some one help me get some sanity back while I try to deal with how to control my usage of my medication and find a therapist!
possibly a form of emotional avoidance, seems like you might not like negative emotions so you ritually take more pills in hope of euphoria?

many times addiction/abuse can be a way to kill negative emotions. As opposed to more healthy methods such as seeking a friend or family member to talk about and work through them ( a healthy form of emotional regulation)

So while currently the extra pills don't help, at some point they may have. With abuse our minds can easily be tricked into thinking that this next pill will make things better, and make us feel good.

Addicts of all kinds tend to use their substances even when the euphoric feelings are long gone and there is nothing left but wasting the substance and shame

that's just one possibility
Greyhound1 (11-08-18), Little Missy (11-08-18)