Thread: ADD and Driving
View Single Post
Old 02-10-18, 09:41 PM
Contributor

Zoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to behold
Re: ADD and Driving

Driving cars and riding motorcycles are two of the things I am very good at, so I'm an outlier here. But it's important to know I was a car nut from a very young age, decades before I even knew I had ADHD. I have always been totally committed to both 4-wheel and 2-wheel forms of moving through space and time. It is quite literally second nature to me.

But the only reason it works or me is the total commitment. Take my situation as evidence that we can do anything we are motivated to do, and for which we have the basic physical capability to do it. The other side of that is, yes, if you don't have that commitment and motivation, and/or aren't pretty well suited for it in terms of timing, coordination, situational awareness, etc., you certainly could be a real and present danger to yourself and others.

If you're generally honest with yourself and you're not comfortable about your ability to manage it, trust your feelings!

That said, it is something you will likely get better at with experience. If your situation allows it, you should get your practice in low-traffic areas. One thing that I found helpful when teaching my son was to drive a mile or two loop repeatedly, just going around and around on the same streets in your neighborhood. The repetition gives you enough familiarity that you can start overcoming the sensory overload and lets you start picking what you need to pay attention to. It also shows how a variety of situations can unfold in the same intersection, for example. When you get used to your loop, pick another one and start over. And start including busier streets when you feel up to it.

You will get better at this.

Meds don't work for me, but they may be transformative for you. That would be a good thing, but you will then get most of your experience while medicated. Being in a situation where you must drive when you missed your meds could be very bad. Sort of analogous to driving drunk.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you take meds, many employers have pre-employment drug testing policies and random tests after employment. Your meds are banned substances. Check beforehand, but I believe that if you have a signed note from your physician indicating what meds you take, that will be considered when reviewing your results and you will 'pass' the drug test. US privacy laws prevent notifying your employer that you are taking controlled substances or that you have ADHD.

Telling your employer about your disorder, or not, is a whole different topic. My advice is to not tell, others might disagree.

Best of luck,
ZD

If ADHD was more prevalent it would be "normal". It would shape all of society, just as it shapes our individual lives now.

Those with an excessive need for order, consistency and timeliness would face a lifelong struggle. Most of us "normals" would wonder why they don't lighten up and be more open to life's ebb and flow.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept. Reality is what it is. How we choose to deal with it is what defines us.