View Single Post
Old 12-18-18, 01:18 PM

lennyking is on a distinguished road
Is school just ill-suited for us, and should we expect more from it?

I don't think about myself as a stupid person, but still sometimes, sometimes even too often, someone who struggles with school or/and workplace related issues. This has lead me to a lot of contemplating about why this seems to be the case, and what would work out better for me when tackling new things. If I try to analyze what makes me learn stuff I can localize two main aspects in the process.

1. Context. Putting the subject in context of why I want to learn more about it and how to use the knowledge to answer or solve existing problems. Finding out by myself what meaning it has to me.

2. Creativity. Actually getting the chance to use it in several ways, try out different perspectives, and be able to both apply it to criticize other theories and criticize it from the perspective of other theories and already obtained knowledge. Or use it in practice to create something or just basically enjoy it if possible. I'm definitely a "learning by doing"-person. In all my years as a student, especially in university, I always felt more comfortable and high achieving when the assignment left me a space of freedom and creativity.

Unfortunately, I experienced school taking quite the opposite approach; learning for the sake of learning, expecting me to memorize isolated concepts, never questioning their role or lack of role in the bigger picture. And frankly it got worse as I proceeded through the system and into higher levels of education. Now in university/college 99% of study time is just about remember who said what, arguing about this and that, not knowing if you ever actually will be able to put the information in to any use whatsoever.

Because of this I always hated and still do dislike school and consider it boring and harsh. I don't have any problems reading books generally, just reading books that I don't want to read but someone have decided over my head that I have to read anyway. Yes, I can see how theoretical knowledge can be important in the long run, but "long run" is often too abstract for me to find meaningful. And what is worse; long run happens to not seldom rather end in no run.

But is it really wrong to expect more? Maybe most people like this kind of straight learning, but isn't it really also a convenient method for lazy teachers, not to encourage students to be a part of what they are learning? Or is it just me being self-centered, blaming the environment for my own lack of self-fulfillment?

I'm not sure if it's mainly a ADD thing or something personal, but the issue seems to at least be related to ADD and the difficulty to manage tasks that are unrewarding. And therefore, do you think like me that school would work out better for us if the traditional "teacher writing on the board and holding monologues"-style was reformed in to less limited ways of teaching?

Also: I don't know how much education differ between different nations, but in your own experience, have there been programs that works better for us with this condition, taking a heavier approach on the need for creativity and practice in to account, and in that way would be more suiting?

Sorry for the long post. It kind of ended up in a mix between rant and query.
The Following User Says Thank You to lennyking For This Useful Post:
userguide (01-10-19)