View Single Post
Old 09-02-09, 08:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One last try to explain myself, and get help. mind racing/medications/etc.

Have you considered the possibility that it's the stimulant causing the racing thoughts? It is a well documented and very common side effect of stimulants, and in fact it's almost definitive in most populations.

You're saying you're taking the Adderall primarily for motivation, and not for focus, though stimulants by definition help everyone with that (the only thing that the paradoxical reaction is paradoxical about is that it helps people with hyperactivity sit still, whereas they give most people the jitters).

You may want to consider discontinuing the stimulant for a few days and seeing if the racing thoughts subside.

For example,
Quote:
Adderall is on and off with helping my mind racing, usually I take it around 9 a.m. and I would say my mind is on one channel on and off until about 2, and then it just unwinds and I feel like my head is just a bowl of mush being blended at high speed....I describe it as feeling 'sick in the head'.
This doesn't sound like it's helping with racing thoughts. This sounds like it's focusing the racing thoughts onto one or two subjects, something that's entirely typical of stimulants in both ADHD and non-ADHD populations. You don't ever say "Adderall slows my mind down." You specifically say "Adderall focuses my thoughts to one or two channels."

See another psychiatrist and have your medications reevaluated. Racing thoughts aren't diagnostically typical of inattentive type ADHD. They're entirely typical of "taking amphetamines." All tweakers have racing thoughts. From the sound of it, you were diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type when in fact there is something else in play (generalized anxiety, for example) or nothing else at all in play (misdiagnosis due to confirmation bias), and the amphetamine you're taking is causing your thoughts to race, which is what stimulants do.

I wouldn't be so adamant about this if "racing thoughts" weren't a primary effect of taking a stimulant.
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)