View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Does depression stifle or enhance your creativity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Depression is a life sucking vampire for me. It makes me not want to do anything at all. Everything seems boring. Every action and every idea. So it renders my ability to be creative or productive completely useless. I become a shell of what I should be.
Definitely!

People sometimes conflate struggles with clinical depression. Struggles can absolutely spur creativity. Clinical depression just makes you withdraw from struggles. You're not going to be creative if you can't drag yourself out of bed, haha.

I think that people often try to make lemonade out of lemons, which is why they say things like "ADHD is a gift," or "depression helps my creativity." Certainly, people can be made stronger and wiser through overcoming struggles, and good for them! But not everyone comes out successful (especially for chronic conditions), and even if they do, wouldn't it have been better if they hadn't had to struggle as much as other people just to reach the same level of success?

For each famous example of artists/authors whose breakthrough creativity was spurred by depression, there are millions of ordinary people whose life potentials were wasted away because of depression.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-01-18), Little Missy (05-01-18), stef (05-01-18)