View Single Post
Old 04-11-12, 10:33 AM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of
Re: Powerful visual-spatial thinking - ADD or Autism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
All of these things you mention seem like whats inside you and your mind and not connected to ASD or ADHD. Its cozy to think so but you would be just as creative even if you didint have adhd.
I do think that ADHD lends to some of our creativity, though I'm not talking about being artistic or musically inclined. Just out-of-box thinking.

Personality and mental ability is just another expression of one's unique brain design, and tangent creativity (as opposed to additive creativity) is something that is easier for people with ADHD.

How Stuff Works has a great article on Creativity and Genius.

Quote:
Like intelligence, creativity and imagination can be difficult to isolate, quantify or explain. Some researchers believe that creative people have less latent inhibition than other people. Latent inhibition is the unconscious ability to ignore unimportant stimuli. Researchers theorize that creative people either receive more stimuli from the world around them or ignore less of it. This may also explain why creative people seem to be more prone to mental illness. People who are both unable to filter stimuli and emotionally unstable are more prone to psychosis.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/genius5.htm
While most people's brains would allow them to ignore tangent thoughts so they can focus on the subject at hand, our ADHD brains are unable to suppress them --- giving rise to our many hair-brained ideas.

But if you train your mind to discern between the good and the bad tangents, then you can sometimes get ideas that are 'not as random', some of which you might benefit from implementing.

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

The Following User Says Thank You to KCTang For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-11-12)