View Single Post
Old 04-17-18, 03:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
as i said above, i am not bipolar, so i probably don't "pick up on it" as much as i do with the diagnoses i have, but i think you're quite likely incorrect on this. so many clinical terms have found their way into the non-clinical speech adopted by people. how often do people say they're "depressed" or "a little OCD" about something. i've heard film plots described as "schizophrenic" and heard people described as "psychotic" who were not suffering from psychosis...

i think the potential for clinical terms being misused in the vernacular is actually quite high and does a disservice to those of us with diagnoses when it happens.
Yeah, I've seen several memes on facebook wondering if Mother Nature has bipolar to account for rapid weather changes.

This is one reason why the word "retarded" is so frowned on today, because
those who didn't understand what it was like to live with that diagnosis or to
live with someone who had that diagnosis began using it as a put-down for
someone who was having a stressful moment.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (04-18-18), SuperSparks (04-17-18)