View Single Post
Old 05-20-17, 09:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: living off the government ADHD

I'm not acquainted with a lot of the people who were around here in 2011, but suspect the argument largely started because of the OP's choice of words. The idea behind disability benefits and other government welfare is that you get it because you need it. The "downside" of getting it is that you aren't supposed to get it if you don't need it. (Needing it usually entails no other options, but not necessarily. Like, I don't think you should avoid disability payments just because you could get a family member to support you.) The OP makes it sound like it's free money and the downside of taking it is that it ruins your reputation and career, so if you don't care about those downsides, you might as well go for it.

I'm guessing the OP did have legitimate need and talked abut it that way because anti-welfare people in the past have made him feel ashamed of the idea. (It's a common conflict-mitigation tactic to criticize yourself so as to preempt criticism from others. Backfired in this case.) However, that means I'm guessing he meant something different than what he said, so I can't really fault someone who interprets the post to be about getting welfare just so you don't have to get a job. On rare occasions, these kinds of forums do get questions about how to commit disability fraud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17)