View Single Post
Old 03-20-11, 12:48 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,583 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

I would add:
If I have somehow miraculously managed to come up with a system that is working for me (unlikely, but it has happened a few times), don't screw around with it. If I have no system (more likely), tailor it to my needs rather than giving me the cookie cutter "Unorganized Kid" plan.

In middle school, I ditched binders once and for all because I would just shove stuff into them and leave them places and it became ridiculously messy. When I continued to have organization issues, albeit less than with the binders, every single one of my teachers went, "WHY AREN'T YOU USING BINDERS?!"
For some reason teachers think that binders are like the holy grail of office supplies and every student must use them...I didn't see it.
You don't have to struggle to do what everybody else is doing if it's not working for you!

@kerbycheyenne,
I would say it is possible. You can act differently in different environments. My brother has NLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder), and while his teachers think he's a star student, our family sees the temper tantrum side of him. He goes to a school with kids who have many different types of LDs, and many of them are the opposite: nightmares at school and angels at home, which is why it's difficult for some parents to get across to teachers that their kid is not a bad kid. My parents find it difficult to convince the school that my brother isn't perfect!

Last edited by pooka; 03-20-11 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something