Thread: sLD
View Single Post
Old 04-09-18, 05:57 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road
Re: sLD

I was diagnosed with dyscalculia when I was a child. I was 9 years old and had the maths abilities of a 5 year old, and I was in the 91st percentile according to my assessment. I also was scored very low in working memory assessments. I have trouble grasping concepts too, especially higher level algebra, and even relatively simple things like reading clocks although I'm much improved now and above average for most things. Luckily at the same time I was way ahead of my age for reading so it wasn't completely bad, although somehow from reading my school reports the teachers all reported me as a 'good pupil' and 'hard worker' when I read over my old reports before I was diagnosed which shows how stupid they were to not even notice. I can personally remember not paying attention in any math lessons, pretty sure we just weren't assessed, I was quiet, and I did well in other areas so they didn't care until my parents forced them to inquire further.

Luckily, I had a really great teacher years 6-8 who helped realise my potential and taught the class, as well as coming to help me personally. I ended up getting a B at GCSE somehow, which definitely makes me question the initial diagnosis, and whether it was simply ADHD and not concentrating because I didn't study at all for the exam and expected to fail it but somehow I did above average...

I can definitely sympathise with the lack of support system. I'm very lucky my parents are very attentive and managed to pick up that something was up with me (aka not being able to count or read a clock aged 9) and made the teachers do something. Without it I have no idea where I'd be as the math skills were very useful in getting into uni etc.