View Single Post
Old 12-29-05, 02:31 AM
barbyma's Avatar
barbyma barbyma is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
barbyma has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by purerealm
I read the sticky that said that psychologists and neurologists can diagnose/treat it, but I was under the impression that only psychiatrists can, not psychologists. And if psychologists and family doctors can prescribe it, does that include physicians?
Psychologists can certainly diagnose. They cannot, however, prescribe meds. Most psychologists work with a psychiatrist or other MD to provide this service. Yes, general practitioners, pediatricians, any MD can prescribe. Even some nurses (depends on the license) can prescribe, although they may be limited to non-narcotics.

Keep in mind, though, that can prescribe and will prescribe are different things. Many GPs are not willing when the med of choice is a controlled substance.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Reply With Quote