View Single Post
Old 04-18-17, 03:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,653 Times in 2,423 Posts
Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sex and love addiction part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
Hermus, I remember raising that same point with a therapist in treatment, "isn't solitary confinement like the worst torture for people?" In reference to working on recovery even if no one goes with us. She didn't answer. Left me to think.

I wouldn't like to be confined or restricted in any way for any length of time, period. I love to come and go as I please. Love being able to mix with whomever I choose. Have, and enjoy having, the most unreal sex life I never could have imagined.

Not my point. All I'm trying to isolate, to challenge, is this: Is engaging in sexual behavior a must, a true need, a requirement to live a fulfilling life? I don't define this as something that would be easy, or pleasant, or without extreme pain. Not saying that. Also, I'm not saying we must be secluded, that we can't have friends, that we can't exchange hugs, lots of loving hugs, and other types of physical contact with our loved ones and friends. Not saying that at all.

Just this, in its most simplistic form: Is participation in sexual activity something that I must do? Is it absolutely necessary? (Not covering procreation here. If we want civilization to continue through reproduction, is not the issue. We've done a pretty good job populating the globe.)
You seem to think that human needs are only about survival. I would challenge that. Survival and really living to our full human potential are two quite different things. There are human needs that go beyond the absolute basic necessities to survive. If those other needs are not met we will survive in less than a human state and will develop all kinds of neuroses.

I simply don't think that the idea of repressing one's own sexuality is healthy from a mental perspective and a lot of psychologists agree with me.

"Nothing inspires murderous mayhem in human beings more reliably than sexual repression. Denied food, water, or freedom of movement, people will get desperate and some may lash out at what they perceive as the source of their problems, albeit in a weakened state. But if expression of sexuality is thwarted, the human psyche tends to grow twisted into grotesque, enraged perversions of desire."

Article on Psychology Today: Sexual Repression: The Malady that Considers Itself the Remedy

"Many experts who have studied the affects of sexual repression on the human psyche over the years have concluded that repressing human sexuality can cause all kinds of neuroses and health problems."

"But even today, it is widely recognized that repression of sexuality is unhealthy and quite likely to lead to health problems ranging from anxiety and aggression, and on a more serious note, there is also the likelihood that the person might seek inappropriate outlets for their sexual urges."

What Sexual Repression Symptoms Are There?

Last edited by Fortune; 04-18-17 at 02:41 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-18-17)