View Single Post
Old 10-23-17, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough
What are my rights, when it comes to exams?

I need some help/advice from others, especially if you are living in the UK, and if you know about education/ADHD rights.

So I failed a professional examination (for Architecture) in the UK.

I sat the exam at the official Architecture Board, not a university. I told the examiners before that I have ADHD and provided my diagnosis letter. They only give extra time to dyslexia, they said they would give me extra time if I provided them with a letter from a doctor, saying that I needed this.

I looked around and found that most doctors will need a whole new diagnosis, which means 350+, and the GP told me that the diagnosis letter should be enough for the examiners.

Anyway, so I thought I would just try my best, and that maybe it's not a big deal and that if I couldn't manage, maybe I wasn't competent enough anyway. My family also think I am 'smart' so they never believe my ADHD diagnosis or support my with these things.

Now I failed, just the written exam/interview (I passed the other 4 modules). I am feeling a bit depressed and stuck.

I feel that the examiners are not being very supportive.
I feel like I can't do it all again, it was a nightmare.
I feel like they could make it easier for me and give it in smaller parts. (the exam is 9 hours over 2 days).
I feel like they are being a bit discriminative towards me (eg. they thought that I did not write the other work I submitted, because it was so much better that the exam/interview)

I just feel like I wouldn't be here if I didn't have ADHD, and what annoys me is that their website is ALLLL about inclusivity, accessibility to the profession, people with disabilities are all welcome. But they do NOTHING to help.

Am I just being sensitive? Should I just accept and try harder? I guess it just hurts a lot to fail. But I still feel like this exam is not as hard for others..

I know it's long, and not spaced out enough. (I tried to put emojis to help ) I don't expect many of you to read it. But please give me your honest opinions, even if it's not what I want to hear.

Hugs to all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeweller For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-23-17)