View Single Post
Old 03-10-11, 06:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,632 Times in 1,988 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD vs Aspergers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
For starter's an Asperger's interest is a bit more than a long interest in one thing. It's seen as an obsession to non-autistics. To the autistic it is their very oxygen. If they are disrupted from it or not allowed to partake in it then you will have a very angry child/sibling/parent/significant other.
For example: yesterday I watched Stargate from 3pm to 11pm and didn't stop thinking about it until 10am today. I had to really restrain myself from buying any of the merch off Ebay too. And I keep getting get distressed about thew cancellation of SGA and SGU and become doubtful and then opitistic about the movies.

But I'm autistic and I've heard that some with AS have many interests and may only be able to focus on one at one time over a number of months and then get back into another interest when they, not really become bored with them, but get interested in a previous interest or a new one and put more focus on it.
I suppose I'm like that. I keep thinking about when I'll get another interest beside SG. I've been thinking about getting into astronomy or physics again but I'm not done with SG just yet.

The social awkwardness is about a lack of understanding social rules. And when they do understand them or become aware of them they don't know why people even bother with following them. Many don't know how to have a normal conversation and would take every opportunity to talk about their special interest.
This should be 'ADD forum post of the year'. Thanks for describing what this is like so we can understand.

Quote:
I pretty much watch all the words I say unless I mean to stir people up.
Do you have to really think about it before you say something to stir someone up or does it just come naturally like it does with ADHD?

Quote:
Some really don't consider others feelings. Not all are like that. Some could be the exact opposite.
How does this work? Do all autistics lack theory of mind? Do you have some that can put themselves in others shoes (not literally) or would they be over sensitive to others feelings for another reason?

I always ruled out AS for myself because of the theory of mind thing and for me I think the ADHD overrides everything else coz I'm such a smartar$e. Just can't help myself. I also don't experience the obsession thing as I am too easily distracted.

On the other hand I have meltdowns. I remember numbers (number plates from my parents cars going back 20 years. Phone numbers etc). I can also recall entire conversations, how someone moved their hands in the conversations and what music was playing at the time. I can retreat into my own shell quite easily and disengage from the world. It took until I was about 7 before I really registered that there was a world going on around me with others in it. Before that I would just 'be'.

Sometimes I wonder if I started out being more AS and then morphed over time to being more ADHD.