View Single Post
Old 07-22-13, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Illumination has a spectacular aura aboutIllumination has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Grief process after being diagnosed with Adult ADD/ADHD.

Today I was officially dx'd. I am lucky because my son was dx'd a few years ago, I read heaps of material on ADHD, and we changed our home lives/expectations/behaviours as a result. So I have an ADHD friendly home, and marriage, already adapted.

I also shared heaps of info with close friends/trusted extended family members so they knew how best to interact with my son, so I don't need to introduce it to them either. This is a huge relief actually, because I understand how challenging it is to explain it to skeptics or the ignorant the first time around.

Oddly, (actually, not odd) I experienced a bit of grief today; I think it's the 'missed opportunities and being misunderstood' phenomena. I don't intend to dwell on the past, but I do intend to make sure all my adult siblings know of my dx, as some of their young kids are evidencing ADHD symptoms and are already being selected out at school for additional support.

Anyway. It's been great to read everyone's different experiences in this thread. Thanks.
ADD me (07-24-13), anonymouslyadd (07-23-13), datajunkie (02-09-14)