View Single Post
Old 07-23-13, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of
Re: The Grief process after being diagnosed with Adult ADD/ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfezione View Post
Now I'm just curious... What is this doctor going to do to find out if i have ADD/ADHD? Do i have to talk a lot? (I have serious socialphobia and detest talking with people i don't know). Am i going to find out right away before the session is over? Is she going to give me new meds right away? Pleaseeeee I'm begging you guys to inform me as much as possible... I am completely losing my mind...
The ultimate focus in therapy is making your lifestyle and your environment more ADHD friendly. That is more teaching than talk therapy. Traditional psychotherapy isn't very helpful in ADHD, because you can vent all the feelings and negative thoughts you want, but it won't make your dopamine and norepinephrine activity adequate for motivation, suppressing distractions, etc.

However, you WILL need to understand your entire life -- not just your present and the way you plan future changes, but also your past -- in terms of ADHD. Your identity shouldn't just be your ADHD, but undiagnosed ADHD can affect your life more than your realized at the time. Retelling the story of your life can be an important therapeutic process for many people. I know it has helped me.

I had a terrible grief process. I guess it was because I had more years of bad behavior and bad decision making to grieve.
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADD me For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (02-09-14), litterbuggy (07-24-13)