View Single Post
Old 05-22-16, 03:54 AM

newkiwi is on a distinguished road
Re: Calling All High School Teachers with ADHD

Good to see this thread and read about the similar issues others face. I've been teaching social studies and history for eight years and while I love my job there are elements I really struggle with. I don't keep a lesson planner at all since I found within a couple days I'll have to rewrite it, then again two days later. I am always late getting papers marked and returned to students and my desk is always notoriously cluttered.

The biggest issue I've had is with moderation. In NZ we have to have our marking of assessments checked by having a random selection sent away to be verified. That requires keeping all the student work for checking a year or more later. So many times I've had panic as I'm missing a few of the assessments somehow. Every year I tell myself this is the year I will get it under control and will have a better way to organise, and then it happens again.

I don't have an issue in the classroom though. I find my very animated delivery of information works well, I like that I can be constantly moving around and every day is different. Management isn't an issue for me and I think I find it easier to relate to some of my struggling students than a lot of teachers do. They are shocked when I tell them I struggled as a student and nearly failed the very subjects I now teach.

So it isn't the teaching, it's the paperwork that goes with it that is the bane of my existence.