ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 02-05-12, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

getithere has a spectacular aura aboutgetithere has a spectacular aura about
I want to report all the teachers in my secondary school for harrasment, bullying

and neglect. Moreover I want to report them for not diagnosing with me ADHD..

Do you think I should?
The Following User Says Thank You to getithere For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (02-05-12)
Old 02-05-12, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,139 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I want to report all the teachers in my secondary school for harrasment, bullying

You know fine well teachers can't diagnose people with disorders.
Electra2 (02-05-12)
Old 02-05-12, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: I want to report all the teachers in my secondary school for harrasment, bullying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You know fine well teachers can't diagnose people with disorders.

No I meant not recognising that there was something wrong and that I might have a problem. You can sometimes spot if a person has a mental illness from a mile of. In my case 15 miles of.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-12, 10:21 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,061 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

No you shouldnt. They see you 7-8 hours a day and your parents see you the rest of the time sooo....point finger elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
mjoy79 (02-09-12)
Old 02-05-12, 11:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
No you shouldnt. They see you 7-8 hours a day and your parents see you the rest of the time sooo....point finger elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
Teachers do not have the necessary skills to diagnose you. Your parents do not have that skill. We on this forum do not have that skill.
The only one who can correctly diagnose you with ADHD is a properly trained mental health professional.
Everyone else at best has a signalling function.

As I have said guys there are other reasons why i want to report them. The fact that they failed to recognise that I had ADHD is part of bigger broader problem. My problem with them is their neglect to abnormal behavior, their indifference towards severe bullying and sometimes their own deliberate bullying. My parents are uneducated and are very ill.There is no way possible that they could recognised the signs, let alone done something about it.
Old 02-05-12, 11:46 AM

Thanked 1,098 Times in 794 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by getithere View Post
As I have said guys there are other reasons why i want to report them. The fact that they failed to recognise that I had ADHD is part of bigger broader problem. My problem with them is their neglect to abnormal behavior, their indifference towards severe bullying and sometimes their own deliberate bullying. My parents are uneducated and are very ill.There is no way possible that they could recognised the signs, let alone done something about it.
I would write down everything about how I felt about this,
explain everything in detail , take a copy and give it to
several related authorities and let them know others will see it too.
Tell them that you are unable to cope with this the way it is,
explain your way of trying to deal with it your self,
how long it has been like this,
why it is like this,
and ask if and how they can help you do make a change for the better,
and if they give you a strategy to cope,
what reason is that strategy built on,why do they recommend the advice they give,
what will the strategy solve.
Most important; write down what happens to you, keep it somewhere safe.
Old 02-05-12, 10:51 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No I meant not recognising that there was something wrong and that I might have a problem. You can sometimes spot if a person has a mental illness from a mile of. In my case 15 miles of.
You know your own problems better than anybody else does. Only you can take the steps to get a diagnosis from a professional, you can't expect somebody else to point out your problems for you.
mjoy79 (02-09-12), Peachy87 (02-05-12)
Old 02-05-12, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You know your own problems better than anybody else does. Only you can take the steps to get a diagnosis from a professional, you can't expect somebody else to point out your problems for you.
Urrm to be honest Fraser, I couldnt self diagnose when I was fourteen now can I? And I said there are other reasons why I want to report them.
Old 02-05-12, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Urrm to be honest Fraser, I couldnt self diagnose when I was fourteen now can I? And I said there are other reasons why I want to report them.
Of course you can.

If you knew you had problems concentrating, then its up to you to do something about it.

You can't expect other people to solve all your problems for you, even at 14.

Its not a teachers job to figure out whats wrong with people, its their job to teach. If you're struggling, then its your own responsibility to get something done about it, nobody elses.
Old 02-05-12, 09:14 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fraser's point is still valid. Teachers are paid to teach, not to be diagnosticians of neurological disorders. In fact, one of the things that feeds public ignorance and skepticism of the existence of ADHD is the notion that teachers are going about "diagnosing" kids with ADHD because they can't handle them and trying to force parents to medicate their kids. I have no idea whether there is any truth to this stereotype or not, but we sure wouldn't want to make it any worse by actually trying to get a court of law to legally hold teachers responsible for diagnosing.

That's in response to the part about suing your school for not diagnosing you.

The bullying and harassment is a separate and probably very valid issue. There is no way teachers and schools should look the other way on that. What kinds of bullying and harassment did they ignore?
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkysmum For This Useful Post:
Peachy87 (02-06-12)
Old 02-05-12, 09:26 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
Fraser's point is still valid. Teachers are paid to teach, not to be diagnosticians of neurological disorders. In fact, one of the things that feeds public ignorance and skepticism of the existence of ADHD is the notion that teachers are going about "diagnosing" kids with ADHD because they can't handle them and trying to force parents to medicate their kids. I have no idea whether there is any truth to this stereotype or not, but we sure wouldn't want to make it any worse by actually trying to get a court of law to legally hold teachers responsible for diagnosing.
Teachers are not just paid to teach. Part of their job is to monitor the children's development, and bring to the parents' attention any problems.

These include symptoms that could point to ADHD.

Some children do not present with obvious or typical symptoms to teachers, and they cannot be held legally responsible for not diagnosing seeing as they are not trained to diagnose.

However, it is often the case that teachers not only fail to recognize the symptoms of ADHD as such, but that they interpret those symptoms as evidence that a child is "lazy", or "bad", etc.

They then treat the child as though they are bad and lazy, and often let them know it in no uncertain terms.

I have definitely had teachers like this. And I think that there should be consequences for that kind of behavior.

Quote:
I don't remember the OP saying they were going to sue anyone. The word they used was "report," which seems perfectly appropriate.

Quote:
The bullying and harassment is a separate and probably very valid issue. There is no way teachers and schools should look the other way on that. What kinds of bullying and harassment did they ignore?
Did the OP say that they ignored bullying or harassment? I got the impression that the teachers themselves were bullying and harrassing.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
getithere (02-06-12), ginniebean (02-06-12)
Old 02-06-12, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:

Who said anything about suing? READ MY POST PROPERLY. I used the word 'report'. I have no desire to drain my local education authority (which is financially strapped anyway) of such funds. My point is to report them. fficeffice" />>>
As I have said over ten times on this thread I am reporting them not only for the neglect towards bullying but their own horrible bullying. Just to give you a taster, a teacher said I better do my work before another student battered me. >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Teachers are not just paid to teach. Part of their job is to monitor the children's development, and bring to the parents' attention any problems.

These include symptoms that could point to ADHD.

Some children do not present with obvious or typical symptoms to teachers, and they cannot be held legally responsible for not diagnosing seeing as they are not trained to diagnose.

However, it is often the case that teachers not only fail to recognize the symptoms of ADHD as such, but that they interpret those symptoms as evidence that a child is "lazy", or "bad", etc.

They then treat the child as though they are bad and lazy, and often let them know it in no uncertain terms.

I have definitely had teachers like this. And I think that there should be consequences for that kind of behavior.

I don't remember the OP saying they were going to sue anyone. The word they used was "report," which seems perfectly appropriate.

Did the OP say that they ignored bullying or harassment? I got the impression that the teachers themselves were bullying and harrassing.

Thanks man. You cleared the miscommunications in this thread, wonderfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to getithere For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (02-06-12)
Old 02-05-12, 10:30 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,256 Times in 8,231 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Teachers do not have the necessary skills to diagnose you. Your parents do not have that skill. We on this forum do not have that skill.
The only one who can correctly diagnose you with ADHD is a properly trained mental health professional.
Everyone else at best has a signalling function.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarek For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-05-12)
Old 02-05-12, 10:35 AM

Thanked 16,578 Times in 7,826 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

What are the teachers doing to harass and bully you?

Have you spoken to a school counselor or principal/dean about the problem?

What do your parents say about the problem?

Awareness of ADHD is coming more slowly in the UK. Even here in the States
some people still think it's only hyperactive little boys. Even if your teachers
realize you have a problem, they may not have any idea what is causing the
problem.
getithere (02-05-12), ginniebean (02-05-12)
Old 02-05-12, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,098 Times in 794 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

I have considered to do the same but the lawyer at the time said no.
Its too painfull and it doesn't lead anywhere.
However I called many of the people
who was responsible in the past
and they basicly said;
"We are so sorry,
now you need get over it and look to the future.
We do a better job now then back then"
Some other tried to deny or underestimate
the whole thing,but I didnt give in until I was sure
they understood my side of the story,and they admit their responability
and apologized.
You should not have to go through bullying.
Try to go to school at home or change school.
What ever you do,
don't accept it!!! I know its hard,
keep fighting-

Last edited by Electra2; 02-05-12 at 11:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Electra2 For This Useful Post:
getithere (02-05-12)