ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-14-12, 03:03 PM

starvinmarv is on a distinguished road
Use social anxiety to your advantage in staying on task.

I don't exactly think I have social anxiety, or if I do its perhaps limited in scope. One thing I do know is that I don't like is to browse facebook and twitter in a very public setting and surrounded by people I don't know very well. This also includes looking up random things about TV shows I watch or going on any social message boards. (honestly also facebook newsfeeds show way too many large pictures of people that I am not friends with but often are using the same library spaces as I am, that alone is enough for me to feel weird about it)

For most people, I would say these things constitute a majority of one's distractions while working on a computer. I recognized this, and decided to change up my work environment while at college. I decided that whenever possible, I would do work at the library, on a library computer, in one of the most populated areas with maximum visibility (though in a quiet section.)

What I found was that my desire to not have everyone looking at my screen was stronger than my reasons for going on those sites in the first place, and what ends up happening is that I find myself spending a majority of the time doing the schoolwork I came there to do. I also think that using a library computer rather than my own laptop also helps with this, as it limits my options in a good way.

I don't do this exclusively, but I found it definitely helps, if only as an effective placebo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starvinmarv For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-14-12), Osakhomen (04-17-12)
Old 04-14-12, 03:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,525 Times in 5,948 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use social anxiety to your advantage in staying on task.

What a coincidence I was just thinking about exactly this!!!

I agree with you. I was the first to choose a desk in my office at university and I chose a place, which overlooked the rest of the room (because I don't like sitting with my back to the door or windows) but where my screen could not be seen by anyone. It was the most coveted desk of them all but it hasn't served me well at all. It's too much of freedom. I need that pressure and the thought of someone looking over my shoulder to be productive.

The place I currently work in has very tight security settings. I'm pretty sure that they scan e-mails and check your browsing history so I strictly don't do anything that isn't work related. (I still browse for rubbish on my mobile while at work ).

Maybe I need to move my desk at uni as well to artifically create a more overlooked situation. I'm sure the others in my office would love to trade desks with me.
Old 04-17-12, 06:16 PM

Osakhomen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I don't like people looking at me while I'm on facebook or stuff like that either.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 07:03 PM

Yeah, I think for me at least, it all stems from the idea that I assume everyone has the same capacity for observation and peripheral vision that I do. I pretty much observe and take note of everything that's in my field of vision. Sometimes I wonder if it is even possible for people to walk by other people and not see them, because I personally find it almost impossible to take note of every person that passes by and otherwise. I'm by no means implying that I can recall all of these things at some later time, my memory is actually pretty terrible in most aspects.

So pretty much I'm thinking, if I can take note of what everyone else is doing on their computer, (not that I'm purposefully invading privacy, just nothing that it can be done easily) then everyone else can just as easily observe me.
Old 04-17-12, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiaz3 View Post
Yeah, I think for me at least, it all stems from the idea that I assume everyone has the same capacity for observation and peripheral vision that I do. I pretty much observe and take note of everything that's in my field of vision. Sometimes I wonder if it is even possible for people to walk by other people and not see them, because I personally find it almost impossible to take note of every person that passes by and otherwise. I'm by no means implying that I can recall all of these things at some later time, my memory is actually pretty terrible in most aspects.

So pretty much I'm thinking, if I can take note of what everyone else is doing on their computer, (not that I'm purposefully invading privacy, just nothing that it can be done easily) then everyone else can just as easily observe me.
Woops, meant to say find it impossible not to take note of everyone that passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
This used to work for me quite well...then I stopped caring lol.
Now I work with friends with the rule 'You see me on something I shouldn't be on. You win one cigarette from me'. This is working quite well for now but only when I'm on medication and can remind myself of such a rule before I click onto something stupid :P.
Haha, it's true I probably shouldn't care as much as I do. I probably wouldn't if I went to a large or even average sized college, but mine is very small and you run into the same people all of the time.
Old 04-17-12, 08:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that eventually anxiety can egt to the point where it is dysfunctional very, very easily.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 04-17-12, 08:06 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to all

This used to work for me quite well...then I stopped caring lol.
Now I work with friends with the rule 'You see me on something I shouldn't be on. You win one cigarette from me'. This is working quite well for now but only when I'm on medication and can remind myself of such a rule before I click onto something stupid :P.
Old 04-18-12, 02:58 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,128 Times in 2,881 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Or...
Just make really difficult passwords and don't write them down. That's how I stay off the distractive sites like facebook during school hours. It also keeps me from posting here, although I still have a tendency to snoop.

If you really need to get serious, try an add on like StayFocused: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gcngdelahlfoji