ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 04-16-12, 10:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all
Exclamation Severe Depression when Dexedrine IR wears off.

I experience a very depressed state of mind when ever Dexedrine wears off (after 3.5 hours of positive effects).
The depression lasts a few hours, but it feels horrible.
I can't smile or think of anything happy. I don't feel like talking to anyone and people have commented on my frowning face.

That is the only side effect I get from Dexedrine. I don't feel anxious on it.

I'm usually a happy-go-lucky person.

I've tried Ritalin IR, but it gives me a lot more physical anxiety (feeling my heart pounding, feeling uncomfortable being in my own skin from the anxiety, etc).
The only thing is that Ritalin IR doesn't make me feel depressed when it wears off. I only feel overly anxious.

What can help? Any input is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I only take half of a 5mg tablet to a whole 5mg tablet per dose.

Rx= Ritalin 2.5mg, 2-4 times daily. 8/5/14 first day.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.

Last edited by Twiggy; 04-16-12 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-16-12, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,529 Times in 3,010 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Severe Depression when Dexedrine IR wears off.

Perhaps you would be more helped by dex capsules......the extended release stuff .....

or, and I am flabberghasted that I am suggesting this , but if you have insurance it won't cost much at all ....and even if you pay out of pocket, you don't take a high dosage, ......

anyway, you might be better off with Vyvanse ....*cringe*...go and take a look in that su b-forum ......you can find out more about it there....

and look further in the dex sub-forum for info about the dex EX, caps.....

good luck ......

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
BR549 (04-16-12), Twiggy (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 11:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all

Thanks Salleh. Is there anything else that could be done?
I'm trying to be on the least expensive medications possible, just in case if something happens to my insurance.

Rx= Ritalin 2.5mg, 2-4 times daily. 8/5/14 first day.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 05:03 AM

_FML_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I experience a very depressed state of mind when ever Dexedrine wears off (after 3.5 hours of positive effects).
The depression lasts a few hours, but it feels horrible.
This used to happen to me. The more I got used to dexamphetamine, the better the come down became. I still experience slight negativity when the dexamphetamine wears off that's no where near how intensely upset I used to get.

try lowering your dose (at least how much you have in one go) for a while and build up again slowly. It's all about getting your body to adjust to dexamphetamine while keeping the side effects to a minimum. You can keep your usual dose if while you adjust to it if you want, it's just that lowering the dose may lessen the come down effect while it's still a problem. Remember to take it consistently.

You can also try drinking/eating something very alkaline with your dexamphetamine. In my experience, doing this reduces side effects.

good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to _FML_ For This Useful Post:
Twiggy (04-17-12)
Old 06-04-12, 05:07 AM

_FML_ is on a distinguished road

Something that also helps me a lot is taking one more tablet and timing it so it will start working when (or a short period before) my initial dose starts wearing off. It will take practise to learn optimal timing.
Old 06-04-12, 05:30 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

avoid caffeine

Try and keep you blood sugar balanced (don't eat carbs by themselves - have some protein with it.)
Old 06-04-12, 06:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,259 Times in 7,338 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Some people do much better ob dex spansules or an ir /xr combo. It could help with the crash.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?