ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-12, 11:37 PM

winnaz is on a distinguished road
Tried to stop my meds!

Hey everyone

I was diagnosed with ADD about 18 months ago, after suffering from depression/anxiety for about 4 years on and off. (Im 23 now)

I was on effexor for about a year but decided to try and get off it, which ended up really bad and I was back to square one.
I then switched to Pristiq after that and my depressive moods had greatly decreased and my anxiety was more manageable.

I still found it hard to concentrate on anything meaningful (which it turns out fueled my anxiety and in turn depression), so I decided to visit my psychiatrist for a diagnosis on ADD.
My brother and father have both been diagnosed with mild ADD in the past, but seem to be able to deal with it far better than I have.

ANYWAY! My script for Dex had run out about a month ago and I thought to myself that I may not need it anymore, so without consulting my Psychiatrist, I had discontinued the dex AND the Pristiq within a couple of weeks of eachother. Everything went well for a couple of weeks, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks for no reason.

I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I may need this medication to stabilise my brain to function normally.
Does anyone else feel a stigma over having this condition?
It just seems hard to talk to anyone who doesn't suffer like I do..

Also, is there any kind of alternative treatment and/or coping methods that anyone here has found work very well? (I'm looking at you experienced ADDers .

Sorry about the ramble guys, it just feels good to get it off my chest every once in a while

Thanks

ps: I just went back on my meds this morning, already helps knowing that I'm back on the right track
Old 04-23-12, 10:34 PM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation
Re: Tried to stop my meds!

Effexor is one of the hardest drugs to come off of. Its similar to detoxing off an opiate. Dont just stop tapper down while consulting your dr.
Old 04-24-12, 05:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,210 Times in 7,313 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tried to stop my meds!

If the meds worked for you why did you stop? Was it due to side effects? Pristique is really hard to stop without a slow taper. I'm glad you're back on your meds. Dont feel bad, we all go through periods of wondering if we need meds at all then the train wreck begins.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links