ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 05-16-12, 09:26 PM
Jr Member

Aphexx is on a distinguished road
Arrow [Journal] Slowing Amphetamine Tolerance w/ Magnesium!

As many of you know, magnesium has mild NMDA antagonist properties--in other words, it can (in theory) be used to hinder (and in some reported cases, reverse) amphetamine tolerance. This applies to both Adderall and Dexedrine. Keep in mind I am not a medical doctor, so take everything with a grain of salt. For more information regarding the technical side of this topic, a simple Google search will do wonders. Also, see the below spoiler.

Taken from a previous Blue Light thread:

Quote:
Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Ca++ influx through the NMDA receptor gated calcium channels on the outer membranes of the dopamine cells bodies in the ventral tegental area, one of two areas in the brain with concentrations of dopamine producing neurons.
As alluded to above, taking an appropriate NMDA* (partial) antagonist will prevent the development of a tolerance for the effects of an amphetamine or amphetamine-like stimulant. Also, by preventing excess Ca++ influx into the neuron, an NMDA antagonist will prevent associated brain alterations and damage (excitotoxicity).

Studies have indicated that amphetamine tolerance is prevented by exogenous or endogenous agents that are able to inhibit excess Ca++ influx into the neuron through the gated calcium channels on the neuronal membrane that have NMDA subtype glutamate receptors.Glutamate , the body’s major excitatory neurotransmitter, opens the gated calcium ion channels upon attaching to the NMDA receptor. A number of other receptors are also expressed on these calcium channels, which, when stimulated, either facilitate or inhibit glutamate’s action.
I was prescribed about two months ago, and since then, my tolerance to the medicine (d-amp) has skyrocketed. In an effort to control the tolerance, I began taking Cardiovascular Research brand magnesium taurate. I chose that specific magnesium supplement because it has one of the highest bioavailabilities. If you are interested in taking supplements as well, try to avoid magnesium oxide, as it has an extremely low bioavailability of about 4%. The bioavailability of a substance is, in simpler terms, the amount of said substance that your body can actually absorb and use. For example, if you took 100mg of magnesium oxide, your body would only absorb 4mg; the rest would be expelled as waste. Unfortunately, all other forms of magnesium are harder to come by in stores.

I will be posting direct results here, sort of like a journal. I will try my best to stay consistent with my sleep patterns and my diet.

Day 1: May 13th, 2012
~8 Hours of sleep. Avoided acidic foods for breakfast. 15mg Dex ER at 7:10 AM, average up, average down, average school day. Normal side effects during/after comedown: shakiness, lack of appetite, exhaustion, slight lack of motivation. Ingested 2 magnesium taurate capsules at 6:30 PM, noticed a slight boost in energy.

May 16th
Average night of sleep. 15mg Dex ER at 7:12 AM. I have been taking two mag taurate pills spaced out in the PM, usually around 6:00 and 7:00 respectively. Today, I noticed a defined boost in my mood. My mind felt a little sharper as well. The comedown was also a slight bit smoother. I didn't feel quite as depressed or unmotivated. I also noticed that my occasional heart palpitations disappeared for the most part. Good signs! As far as the strength of the medication goes, I haven't noticed any real difference.
Old 05-17-12, 01:36 AM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough
Re: [Journal] Decreasing Amphetamine Tolerance with Magnesium

u r too young to be playing on bluelight messing around with junky like chemistry experiments. I've read some of the most wacked out experiments they do and the forums posters can encourage drug alteration methods. it's just bad for business. there are many good folk there but there are too many tacky junkyish topics, be safe, kid
Old 05-17-12, 07:15 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddYourAll View Post
u r too young to be playing on bluelight messing around with junky like chemistry experiments. I've read some of the most wacked out experiments they do and the forums posters can encourage drug alteration methods. it's just bad for business. there are many good folk there but there are too many tacky junkyish topics, be safe, kid
This is nothing close to a "junky like chemistry experiment". I'm quite literally taking a natural supplement of a mineral found in everyone's diet, and recording a journal of any possible effects. It would be like saying taking a multivitamin is also a "wacked out experiment". I used the information on Blue Light only to give a background on the topic.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
moderator note

just so we're all clear, there are two guidelines all should be keeping in mind on this thread and any/all future or other ones:

1. no linking other sites:

2. our policy on posts encouraging/supporting substance misuse--which is determined according to US federal law and prescribing information on medications:
If I am breaking any rules, do inform me. I didn't post a link, nor am I promoting substance misuse/abuse. Maybe my original post was unclear, and some users do not understand. If so, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 01:41 AM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexx View Post
As many of you know, magnesium has mild NMDA antagonist properties--in other words, it can (in theory) be used to hinder (and in some reported cases, reverse) amphetamine tolerance. This applies to both Adderall and Dexedrine. Keep in mind I am not a medical doctor, so take everything with a grain of salt. For more information regarding the technical side of this topic, a simple Google search will do wonders. Also, see the below spoiler.

Taken from a previous Blue Light thread:

I was prescribed about two months ago, and since then, my tolerance to the medicine (d-amp) has skyrocketed. In an effort to control the tolerance, I began taking Cardiovascular Research brand magnesium taurate. I chose that specific magnesium supplement because it has one of the highest bioavailabilities. If you are interested in taking supplements as well, try to avoid magnesium oxide, as it has an extremely low bioavailability of about 4%. The bioavailability of a substance is, in simpler terms, the amount of said substance that your body can actually absorb and use. For example, if you took 100mg of magnesium oxide, your body would only absorb 4mg; the rest would be expelled as waste. Unfortunately, all other forms of magnesium are harder to come by in stores.

I will be posting direct results here, sort of like a journal. I will try my best to stay consistent with my sleep patterns and my diet.

Day 1: May 13th, 2012
~8 Hours of sleep. Avoided acidic foods for breakfast. 15mg Dex ER at 7:10 AM, average up, average down, average school day. Normal side effects during/after comedown: shakiness, lack of appetite, exhaustion, slight lack of motivation. Ingested 2 magnesium taurate capsules at 6:30 PM, noticed a slight boost in energy.

May 16th
Average night of sleep. 15mg Dex ER at 7:12 AM. I have been taking two mag taurate pills spaced out in the PM, usually around 6:00 and 7:00 respectively. Today, I noticed a defined boost in my mood. My mind felt a little sharper as well. The comedown was also a slight bit smoother. I didn't feel quite as depressed or unmotivated. I also noticed that my occasional heart palpitations disappeared for the most part. Good signs! As far as the strength of the medication goes, I haven't noticed any real difference.
FYI, tolerance isn't pegged yet. There are so many big pharma companies out that are searching for the correct molecules to keep opioid tolerence down for patients suffering chronic pain. same with amphetamines, it's still a phenom, u nor a junky on bl has it pegged: stay in school and apply yourself to honors chemistry as much as bl jargon and u will surely succeed, best of luck
Old 07-26-12, 11:17 AM
Contributor

ADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really nice
Re: [Journal] Slowing Amphetamine Tolerance w/ Magnesium!

Potassium is a heck of a lot better for me than magnesium...
REspiradol 1mg at bedtime
Melatonin 3mg at bedtime
Vit.D 3000 IU daily, 5000 IU on winter time
Vit.B complex 100
Ester C- 4000mg
Magnesium 800mg
Potassium 400 mg
Gluten intolerant
Old 05-17-12, 04:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,955 Times in 6,761 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Were you on meds for a long time or on a high dose?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-17-12, 01:24 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 20,980 Times in 9,325 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note

just so we're all clear, there are two guidelines all should be keeping in mind on this thread and any/all future or other ones:

1. no linking other sites:

Quote:
*No links to other groups, forums or communities in signatures or posts, without the explicit written permission of a Site Admin.

2. our policy on posts encouraging/supporting substance misuse--which is determined according to US federal law and prescribing information on medications:

Quote:
NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE OVERDOSED OR TAKEN TOO MUCH MEDICATION OR ARE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS THAT ARE SEVERE ENOUGH THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE HEALTH, DON'T WASTE TIME BY POSTING HERE - GO TO THE HOSPITAL, CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR LOCAL CRISIS HOTLINE, AND DO IT NOW!

ALL POSTS THAT DEAL WITH THE ABOVE ISSUES WILL BE DELETED AS SOON AS THEY ARE DISCOVERED.

We at ADDFORUMS aren't trained to handle a crisis, we can't track down a person in need of assistance and we can't summon help. To put the people here in the position where they feel that they have to do such things is not acceptable.

We have a Private Forum dealing with Substance Abuse and Addictions.

thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-17-12)
Old 05-18-12, 12:41 AM
Contributor

Oh, LoL, now I get it! That line about magnesium throws out flags of intension to misuse. Did your Dr. recommend this supplement?...dought it..also, u r endorsing the brand of a supplement for yer 'journal' ...u got class tomorrow, and I dought the average person on here knows whatever that is u copied off wikapedia, be safe, supplements arent approved by FDA/ I just think u r on a wild goose chase trying to solve phenoms such as amphetamine tolerance....dont bs a bser...

Last edited by AddYourAll; 05-18-12 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: hjflghfhvfv
Old 05-18-12, 02:14 PM

zeppelin931 is on a distinguished road

I take adderall and also tried magnesium. I had to quit the magnesium due to stomach issues. Magnesium slightly alkalizes your body which will increase the absorption of adderall. Keep that in mind.

For everyone that had a problem with this thread, there's a similar thread on this site about memantine reducing adderall tolerance 60 pages long.
Old 05-20-12, 03:12 PM
Jr Member

May 18th & 19th:
Both were drug holidays. I have been noticing that the magnesium taurate has been more of a mood booster than anything else, which makes sense because both magnesium and taurine exhibit anti-depressive characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin931 View Post
For everyone that had a problem with this thread, there's a similar thread on this site about memantine reducing adderall tolerance 60 pages long.
I read that thread; it seems like memantine is the new wonderdrug!
Old 05-20-12, 03:25 PM

SnareDrumzZz is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously take a break. Stop taking your meds or lower youyr dose if you dont want tolerance issues. Its not the end of the world. Amphetamine wd is Nothing compared to other drug wds. A week or maybe less of being fatigued. Thats so easy and its bothersome to see how pteople dont understand ythis and think a Supplement is Really going to drop your tolerance.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnareDrumzZz For This Useful Post:
AddYourAll (05-20-12)
Old 05-20-12, 03:43 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareDrumzZz View Post
Seriously take a break. Stop taking your meds or lower youyr dose if you dont want tolerance issues. Its not the end of the world. Amphetamine wd is Nothing compared to other drug wds. A week or maybe less of being fatigued. Thats so easy and its bothersome to see how pteople dont understand ythis and think a Supplement is Really going to drop your tolerance.
The whole point of this is being able to take your medications consistently without developing a tolerance. Supplements such as magnesium CAN help with tolerance, but it's on you if you're too lazy to find or cannot understand the research proving it.
Old 05-20-12, 10:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
The whole point of this is being able to take your medications consistently without developing a tolerance. Supplements such as magnesium CAN help with tolerance, but it's on you if you're too lazy to find or cannot understand the research proving it.
will you site your research. I'll read it and keep an open mind as long as it isn't cited from a classmate's blog....until that, I just think your wasting you time and I beleive thats what snarz was driving at. Have you tried a break yet? Bad question for I'm certain you'd say yes even if you haven't....I believe if this was a significant find in reducing tolerence, which ultimately is one of the biggest issues with these kinds of meds because dose needing increases to maintain desired effect, you would be onto something big, much like buperenorphine mitigating opioid tolerence, being a partial -agonist.

These findings are extremely significant in the research communities, as well as physicians rxing them. The aim being to ultimately reduce addiction when medication causes dependence.

good luck, and keep us posted..

BTW- the main reason I'm even posting is because I was 16 half a lifetime ago and played around with supplements. One of the ingredients was something that didn't mix and I ended up in the hospital very sick. I just believe unless your Dr reccomends this?....there's no reason to experiment...there are way too many factors including diet, physiologyetc, etc, that it's most likely placebo

I'm not gonna bother ya anymore, but feel I'm obligated to pass this info on. If Dr is cool with it, cool...keep posted and I will read if u post some credible research/be safe

Last edited by AddYourAll; 05-20-12 at 10:56 PM..
Old 05-20-12, 11:04 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddYourAll View Post
will you site your research. I'll read it and keep an open mind as long as it isn't cited from a classmate's blog....until that, I just think your wasting you time and I beleive thats what snarz was driving at. Have you tried a break yet? Bad question for I'm certain you'd say yes even if you haven't....I believe if this was a significant find in reducing tolerence, which ultimately is one of the biggest issues with these kinds of meds because dose needing increases to maintain desired effect, you would be onto something big, much like buperenorphine mitigating opioid tolerence, being a partial -agonist.

These findings are extremely significant in the research communities, as well as physicians rxing them. The aim being to ultimately reduce addiction when medication causes dependence.

good luck, and keep us posted..
Like the entire thread suggests, it's only a simple experiment. I would be happy to PM you my sources. I have not taken a break with my medicine because my primary goal isn't lowering my tolerance; it's seeing if magnesium actually helps. Whether I'm wasting my time or not, I'm still interested in the outcome, and I thought I should share my findings. If the journal entries are annoying, I can limit updating them to once or twice a month.

Cheers, mane.
Old 05-21-12, 01:45 PM
Contributor

jiffyPOP is a jewel in the roughjiffyPOP is a jewel in the roughjiffyPOP is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Whether I'm wasting my time or not, I'm still interested in the outcome, and I thought I should share my findings. If the journal entries are annoying, I can limit updating them to once or twice a month.
Keep posting. It has been shown that magnesium deficiency can help in revealing hyperactivity in children, and possibly indicate ADHD (1). In one study, Magnesium deficiency was found in 95 per cent of ADHD children examined (2).

I know your goal is different, and you want to lessen the tolerance to AMP. However it is always possible that you might benefit from magnesium supplementation.

Firstly, listen to DrewBacca and talk with your doctor. If you plan to take massive amounts of magnesium, you should probably also research the relationship and nutritional need for zinc, B-6, copper, iron and of course calcium. Let your doctor know, and make sure you are compensating other essential vit $ minerals effected by magnesium!

1) The effects of magnesium physiological supplementation on hyperactivity in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Positive response to magnesium oral loading test. Starobrat-Hermelin B, Kozielec T

2) Assessment of magnesium levels in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Kozielec T, Starobrat-Hermelin B.

[[[[[+++++------Dx ADD-PI------+++++]]]]]
[[[[[+++++------------Dyslexia------------+++++]]]]]
[[[[[Dextroamphetamine ER - Corepharma spansules 10mg x 2]]]]]
The Following User Says Thank You to jiffyPOP For This Useful Post:
Aphexx (05-21-12)