ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-03, 01:35 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Reply notification?

I have set the personal option to have me notified by email whenever (supposedly) I get a reply to a posting. I've got them for threads that I have started, but not for replies to my contributions to other peoples threads. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

Just wondering. Right now I have to remember each thread to which I ever posted and check on them to see if anyon responded to me. Maybe it's just my misunderstanding of the FAQ info.

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 07-04-03, 03:43 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
You can always subscribe to a thread by clicking on the appropriate link on the bottom of a thread page.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 07-05-03, 05:54 PM
Jr Member

Big Wheels is on a distinguished road
I am pretty certain the way it works is you get emailed only if someone clicks the "reply" button on the post you made. As I am writing this in the window at the bottom of the screen, you wouldn't get a message..... (continued below)
Old 07-05-03, 05:56 PM
Jr Member

Big Wheels is on a distinguished road
Reply Notification

.... (continued) this time, I clicked "reply" to your posting. So I think you should have received an email for this posting.

Let me know if I'm right, cuz this is just a guess!!'

David
Old 07-06-03, 05:52 PM
Contributor

OK. Thanks. I had already selected some subjects, but didn't stop to think there was probably a difference between that and the thread subscription button below.

Ken

Old 09-19-03, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jonathan is on a distinguished road
Good question, Ken, and clever of you to figure that out, Big Wheels! This is something I had wondered about too, but never worked out - there seemed to be no consistency about it. I usually write my reply straight in the box at the bottom of the page, because I want to be able to see what I am replying to, and because it's quicker and seems less "committed" (I am often ambivalent about whether to reply). Now I know that if I want responses I should click on the button (I did just now, practically for the first time), or actively subscribe, as BIG suggested.
Old 09-19-03, 05:25 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Old 09-19-03, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
you can also goint the edit and select the selction

Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 09-22-03, 03:04 PM
Contributor

Another question....

How does the reply emailing and the sender's Ignore list interact? I would assume the receiver's Ignore list would filter replies (hopefully?) but what about the sender's list....? I know this might be a rare occasion that someone got excited about a buddy's reply when the thread starter is on their ignore list..... Doe any of this make sense??????

Ken

P.S., thanks for all the good info so far!

Old 09-22-03, 03:43 PM
Ghost in the Machine

My understanding is, if you subscribe to a thread, and there is a post in the thread, then you will receive notification of a new post. When you actually VIEW the thread, the ignored person's posts would be blocked.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 09-23-03, 12:58 AM
Contributor

Yeah, I think so.

I've noticed something else....

I have email notification set in my profile, but I don't get them automatically when I post. When I edit my message after posting, I see the email notification flag is not set. I now have to edit a post after submitting it to get the flag set, each time I post.

This is very puzzling....

I have one idea so far -- I don't have login cookies set, so I have to login each time (paranoia). Are user prefs loaded into the login cookie and looked up there -- and ONLY there?

Ken

Hmmm -- very puzzling. I am editing this post to check the email flag -- it is now set to match my preference. It wasn't set for my earlier two messages today -- very suspicious......

Old 09-23-03, 08:43 AM
Ghost in the Machine

The only way preferences are "remembered" is if you have cookies enabled from the forums.

Old 09-23-03, 11:28 PM
Contributor

As I guessed....

Thanks for the help!

Ken

Old 09-24-03, 08:50 AM
Ghost in the Machine

You're welcome