ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-17, 10:10 PM

MidgetJ3sus is on a distinguished road
Your methods

Hello, hello. I'm relatively new to these forums and I wanted to post about a subject that has been trapped in my head for the past few weeks.
I noticed in high school that I suck at multitasking. The way the school system is built, having to constantly redirect your attention from one subject to another, made me a very poor student.
I can't focus on more then one aspect in my life, either my academic, social, or personal life flourishes, the other 2 are always on the verge of death. And I've found that personally, it was hardest for me to maintain my academics because I had to focus on multiple subjects at once.
While I was distracted by learning meaningless material, my friends always thought I would consistently lasp into bouts of depression, because at the end of the day I had no mental energy left to socialize.
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar, and if so, how'd you deal with it?
Old 10-02-17, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,877 Times in 5,717 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your methods

While it may be worse in those with ADHD due to the disability brought about by disordered executive function, it has been shown in multiple studies that human beings in general are poor at multitasking. Even those who would otherwise claim to be able to multitask have demonstrated greatly diminished performance when continual context and situation switching is introduced.

So it's not just you, even if it's an even greater challenge for you.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-03-17)
Old 10-02-17, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,877 Times in 5,717 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I'll just say that being mentally exhausted at the end of the day, such that I've got nothing left for anything else...let's just say that I can relate.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-03-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 12:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Studies or not, it appears that NTs excel at some kind of multitasking; it seems like they can hold onto 50 spinning plates at once, while I'm lucky to handle one, and that's an ability I would pay any price to gain. I don't know if that is textbook multitasking but I'm sure you know what I mean. It sure as heck looks like multitasking, whatever it is.

I mean, you know it when you see it, I don't know if it matters that what we're talking about is literally multitasking. It's "multi-pronged functional ability with minimal energy used" and I can't begin to understand this works, since I have never once experienced it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), Arthos (10-03-17)
Old 10-08-17, 06:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,534 Times in 13,419 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I HATE the term multitasking and I think its s myth, something you might be lucky enough to see while riding your unicorn.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.