ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you experience?
change in blood pressure/pulse 4 50.00%
pale/cold fingers and/or toes 3 37.50%
erectile dysfunction 1 12.50%
loss of appetite 5 62.50%
dry mouth 7 87.50%
elevated mood (followed by depressed mood) 3 37.50%
anxiety 2 25.00%
change in libido 2 25.00%
blurred vision 3 37.50%
shakiness in hands, arms, legs, and/or feet 2 25.00%
insomnia 2 25.00%
constipation/diarrhea 3 37.50%
headache 2 25.00%
grinding of the teeth/skin picking 3 37.50%
difficulty urinating 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-17, 10:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,619 Times in 5,595 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
What Side-Effects Do You Experience from Amphetamines?

If you take one of the following medications for ADHD:
  • Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine sulfate)
  • Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts)
  • Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine mesylate)
  • Desoxyn (methamphetamine hydrochloride)
I’d like to know what side-effects you experience.

I tried to list the most commonly reported ones, as limited by the poll count.

Thanks,
Ian
peripatetic (11-01-17)
Old 11-01-17, 11:04 AM

Thanked 31,942 Times in 14,398 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Side-Effects Do You Experience from Amphetamines?

i put dry mouth and diarrhea. i'm not currently on meds, but those are the two things i recall being most persistent (the dry mouth) and happening whenever i restarted and for a couple of days (the diarrhea).
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-01-17)
Old 11-01-17, 11:50 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,856 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I no longer take them, but answered from memory, and checked all but erectile dysfunction, blurred vision (although I did have a prescription change/increase in my glasses around the same time to include bifocals, so it may have been attributed to the meds, too - ironically, i don't use/need those glasses anymore), and difficulty urinating (rather it was the opposite, as I went a whole lot more often).

Those issues arose with trying only two of the med options, adderal ir and vyvanse. The issues got even more intense and unbearable when the generics would get switched around.

Trying to become stable via methods being offered that seemed to be anything but stable eventually exhausted me and greatly lessened the quality of my life. To be fair, they were also adding different types of meds at the same time, which only worked to increase the intensity of my discomfort and ills.

I had tried ritalin illegally/recreationally back in my early 20s or so and it made me feel quite ill, so I had no interest in pursuing that route, or any others they suggested and started desperately seeking relief elsewhere.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-01-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-17, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow is on a distinguished road

Muscle tension.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-01-17)
Old 11-06-17, 04:23 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

The Vyvanse hasn't had hardly any effect on my blood pressure. A few days ago, I took my blood pressure and it was 106/69. That's pretty normal for me. But for a couple of weeks after I first started the Vyvanse, my pulse was often in the 90s and occasionally got up to 106 or 108 when I checked. But then my pulse returned to where it had been before I started the Vyvanse, usually in the mid 70s. It also goes up again for a few days when I raise the dose and then goes down to what it was before.

A few times, my vision has been a little blurry and my eye doctor says that my eyes are a little dry but not seriously so. He told me to put over the counter moisturizing eye drops in my eyes a couple of times a day and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Occasionally my mouth has been a little dry, but this hasn't been much of a problem so far. I've been trying to drink more water and keep well hydrated. This might help with my dry eyes, too.

I've also had a little constipation. So, I've been trying to change my diet some by eating more whole wheat bread, more salads and other vegetable every day. I put flaxseed meal into a breakfast shake that I take in the morning with my Vyvanse. And I drink more water, of course. All of this is helping.

The Vyvanse has definitely affected my appetite and I've lost a few pounds.

The Vyvanse has not had any effect on my libido, but I have had a little erectile dysfunction. The same thing happened to me 5 years ago when the psychiatrist who diagnosed me put me on Wellbutrin and it happened again when he put me on IR Ritalin. But the ED was worse for me on Wellbutrin and Ritalin than what it's been on Vyvanse, and after 3 months on the Vyvanse, I'm not having much problem any more.

I haven't had any sleep problems on Vyvanse. In fact, I've found that I sleep better when I'm on a stimulant. I slept better, too, when I was on Ritalin for a few months, one of the few benefits I experienced from that medication.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-06-17)