ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-17, 07:11 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,246 Times in 6,376 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
ADHD & New Years resolutions

Does anyone do this successfully? I gave up on resolutions many years ago. It got old letting myself down and others every year.

My thoughts, feelings and desire can all be there before the resolution begins. Soon after my brain sabotages me and totally changes my thoughts, feelings and desire & motivation to continue.

Some past resolutions, I planned for months flopped within hours.

The only resolution, I’ve ever been able to keep so far was giving up on New Years resolutions.

What are your experiences with resolutions?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-31-17), Fuzzy12 (12-31-17), Little Missy (12-31-17), midnightstar (01-01-18), PoppnNSailinMan (12-31-17), stef (12-31-17), ToneTone (12-31-17), WhiteOwl (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,175 Times in 507 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of
Re: ADHD & New Years resolutions

Same exact experience. Could have written it myself. It still feels good to start a new year and hope I can develop better habits, but I know I'm only kidding myself, lol. I saw a FB post by someone with ADHD that I follow, that said something like our life is just one big list of resolutions that we can't keep. What makes us think a new year will change anything? Lol. But there's always that shred of hope, at least for me. The potential is there, at least.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-31-17), Fuzzy12 (12-31-17), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), Little Missy (12-31-17), stef (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 10:12 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to all

I've hardly ever done New Year's resolutions before. But I was thinking of trying one this year!

A couple of months ago, having just started ADHD meds again (Vyvanse), I decided to try out a bunch of time management and productivity apps on my phone and on my computer with the hope that new meds + apps + determination might actually allow me this time to learn to manage my time better and get more done.

So, I installed Todoist and Microsoft Outlook on my phone and on my desktop. And there's also Google Calendar which I had used in the past, but I decided to try and use more often.

For a couple of weeks, I was really good each morning at checking the to-do tasks I had assigned myself in Todoist and I even got some of them done. And then I saw my new therapist about 6 weeks ago and told him what I was doing. But since then, I've hardly looked at my to-do list and haven't added any new tasks and I keep getting notification on my phone reminding me of tasks that are more than a month overdue and still need to be done.

So, I feel like maybe I should make a New Year's resolution to push myself to try out these apps again so that I can organize my time better. And perhaps I can get my new therapist to put a little pressure on me, too. He's committed to providing me with 9 months of therapy, so I'd hate to miss an opportunity to make some changes in my life and learn new habits when I've got maximum support for doing it.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-31-17), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-17, 10:08 PM

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about

Every day is chance for resolutions to be put into place.. IMO I don't see New Years as any special time for setting goals or making positive life changes... Self improvement is a steady, consistent effort, and is based on intuition coupled with the bigger picture mostly--at least speaking for myself..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-31-17), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), Ronelh (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18), Unmanagable (01-01-18)
Old 12-31-17, 11:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,245 Times in 5,895 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still finishing off stuff from my list circa 1998, so once I'm done with that, I'll get back to this thread.

Cheers,
Ian
cobain67 (12-31-17), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), Little Missy (01-01-18), Lunacie (01-01-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18), WhiteOwl (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 12:02 AM

ldk_13 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat as everybody else and don't care much for new years resolutions. But I think the reason why people fail so often and so hard is because they set too big of goals that realistically could never be achieved. When I try something new like I different routine I start with small goals to see where it goes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ldk_13 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-18), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), Little Missy (01-01-18), Lunacie (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 04:45 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,378 Times in 12,876 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Same experience as Greyhound!
I much dislike new year's day;
my mom did her best with christmas when i was little, (anxiety and past events), she would always " undecorate" the house on Jan 1 and happily say how relieved that things were " back to normal".

The last three months of 2017 were so amazing, with diagnosis and meds; and so today, although already dark and cloudy, i have chosen happy things to do. I learned on saturday evening that my dear friend is pregnant! so i'm going to look up easy baby blanket crochet patterns

and perhaps reread A Christmas Carol.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-18), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), Little Missy (01-01-18), Lunacie (01-01-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-01-18), WhiteOwl (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 09:30 AM

Thanked 20,009 Times in 10,657 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha, I liked the 'flopped within hours' Greyhound.

I've never done the resolution thing. That I can remember.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-18), Greyhound1 (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 12:26 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,805 Times in 12,220 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't bother with new years resolutions, they're hopeless.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 12:34 PM

Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,877 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

No takeaways or fast/junk food for me this year. This time next year i'm going to have a proper mans body.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-18), Greyhound1 (01-02-18), Little Missy (01-01-18), stef (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 01:58 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,887 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Happy New Now!! I'm of the same mindset as cobain, in that every day is a new chance.

I finally learned the more I try to meticulously plan, the less chance I have of accomplishing whatever it is, so I just roll with the flow, while trying to remember I'm the one at the wheel, regardless of the obstacle course.

The time of year I decide to make a change doesn't matter as much to my brain as my current overall state of being, which ultimately determines my response-ability chances....there again, it all goes back to being a daily choices thing.

Trying to conquer and commit to a list of perceived "shoulds" when I'm nowhere near ready to tackle them is similar, in my mind, to shooting myself in the foot repeatedly. No thanks.

My initiative apparently doesn't care to follow the typical calendar days and traditions society tells us to follow...thank goodness...or I'd be even more scattered, very similar to days gone by that I don't wish to revisit, if at all possible.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-02-18), stef (01-01-18)
Old 01-02-18, 03:33 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to all

In terms of New Year's resolutions, I kept one of them this morning.

One of the things I do a lot when I'm home is that I'll get up in the morning and turn on my computer about 7:30 or 8:00 AM with the intention of only being online for a little while (not more than an hour) before doing some other things that need to be done such as making myself some breakfast, walking the dog, feeding my parrot, etc.

But more often than not, I'll lose track of time and the next thing I know, it's already noon and I still haven't had anything to eat yet, nor has the dog been walked or the parrot fed.

So, one New Year's resolution is that I'll always fix myself breakfast, feed the bird, walk the dog and do a few other chores before I ever turn on my computer. It's much more difficult to disengage from what I'm doing online once I've got sucked in than to not turn on my computer first thing in the morning in the first place.

Well, this morning I waited to turn on my computer until after I had done some chores! Now, I'll have to see if I can make this into a habit.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-02-18), Greyhound1 (01-02-18), stef (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 05:06 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,771 Times in 13,526 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are always general and personal. I have the same one as last year... to be a better person than the year before.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-02-18), Greyhound1 (01-02-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-02-18), stef (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Mine are usually the same....

- Stay in a job for more than 3 months
- Get into shape
- Make a friend/ or friends
- Learn a skill
- Get a girlfriend (who isn't my ex)
- Move out

It's usually around this time that I have given up on accomplishing any of those mentioned above for another year though....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-02-18), Greyhound1 (01-02-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

excelsior is a jewel in the roughexcelsior is a jewel in the roughexcelsior is a jewel in the rough

I wanna learn to surf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-02-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-03-18)