ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-08-05, 09:04 PM

HDMUMMA1 is on a distinguished road
Question Ever hear of sluggish cognitive tempo disorder?

This disorder was noted on the Health Articles area of the MSN website as children that are "predominately inattentive" don't really have ADHD, but they have another disorder called sluggish cognitive tempo disorder. I can't find this anywhere online. Well honestly I didn't have ALOT of time to search, but thought someone here may have heard of it. P.S. Thank you to those who responded to my last post.
Old 11-08-05, 09:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
Not again!

This keeps coming up. There is a common misperception that all ADHD Inattentive people have this Sluggish Cognitive Tempo or SCT.

The truth is, only some inattentives fall into this SCT group (maybe 30%-50%) and it may or may not be a separate disorder (depending on which research papers you read)

Also, the way to distinguish SCT from plain ADHD inattentive isn't well defined yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnleashTheHound For This Useful Post:
sciencer (04-22-11)
Old 11-08-05, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Unleashed the Hound and I are bound to be dragged through SCT hell forever....

Do a search on this board using SCT...you will have plenty of reading with references and good opposing opinions.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-11, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

sciencer has disabled reputation
Re: Ever hear of sluggish cognitive tempo disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMUMMA1 View Post
This disorder was noted on the Health Articles area of the MSN website as children that are "predominately inattentive" don't really have ADHD, but they have another disorder called sluggish cognitive tempo disorder.
SCT or referred to as sluggish cognitive tempo is like ADD but treatment wise its difficult because really its more of a learning disability. I consider my self to have SCT but the meds (concerta) didn't help me. Now I on the verge of going to therapy, to seek a evaluation. I don't know how severely SCT vs. ADHD is but the academic impact are the same.

SCT VS ADHD:

SCT individuals, tend to have LD's possibly (not much research on this)
ADHD has a 25% rate of anxiety but within the SCT anxiety is much higher. Also both carry a high risk of depression (in comparison to the average population)

Try this. the .gov pages have the same information but it more summarized here. I read the .gov pdf it was long and full of references took for ever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo

Video of ADHD: VERY HELPFUL
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=14660

ALTHOUGH U can still have adhd with out hyperactivity lol its true. hyperactive and inattentive are just phases. (CHILD TO ADULT)

Hopes that help you out http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif respond to me back http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://www.addforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
Old 05-04-11, 12:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,663 Times in 788 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

Barkley is doing some work on SCT because he is consulting for the new DSM. Check his site.
Old 06-26-12, 11:32 PM

bluedogrower is on a distinguished road

I am a little OCD, so I have always had this urge to know definitively what my problem is, because there are so many possibilities. I do have ADD. I'm 37. I know I have ADD because I had a brain spect scan that confirmed it. It was about $4,000 USD, so it's up there, but for me it was worth it to know for sure. Google Dr. Amen to find out more. I do not work for him, but want people to know what's available. I personally would gladly spend the money on my child to confirm a Dr's suspicions.

I currently take ritalin, lamictal and prozac, but just read that prozac can mess with stimulants, not sure if it's true though. They work pretty good.