ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-13-06, 12:33 AM

scougarb is on a distinguished road
ADD and Air Traffic Control?

I am very new to this and this is my first time posting here, so please excuse me if I ask some ignorant questions.

I am a 27 year old male with ADD (without hyperactivity) who is still single and still can't decide on a career. I have many varied interests, but can't seem to find a job that doesn't leave me bored after a few months. Lately l have been considering a career as an Air Traffic Controller. It is something that I have always thought I would be good at and enjoy, but dismissed because I really didn't want to relocate away from my family and friends. I seem to really enjoy communicating verbally (even though I hate giving speeches... lol) I know... I know... You're thinking, "He is ADD... he is just attracted to it because it is high stimulus". And you are probably right, but what I would like to know is this. I have heard that many ADDults are attracted to high stimulus careers, but what I haven't heard is whether that is a bad thing or a good thing. Are there certain types of things we should avoid in a career? I realize that each person is different, but there has to be SOME things that we all need or should avoid in a career. Any advice? I welcome anyone's comments, but I especially want to hear from you if you have ADD and are in a high stress job like Air Traffic Control.
Old 03-13-06, 10:28 AM

Thanked 8,732 Times in 2,709 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Aptitude testing is very helpful for everyone; especially those of us with ADHD.

good luck