ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-03, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

adventureguru is on a distinguished road
Christmas Crisis

How many of you out there find yourself down to the wire for the holidays...I'm expecting that I'm not the only one...Thus far...I have to finish my shopping...buy Christmas dinner...prepare some deserts for things that I have to "pass." finish cleaning the house...complete that with pick up my ritalin prescription-which I have no clue when that is going to get done...I have to work the next 7 days....and pull my hair out...how does everyone here handle these hectic times...
The BF did most the shopping...so I just have to get one thing for my dad and the rest for BF...
BF is helping...I just feel stressed...
anyone have any tricks of the trade?
Old 12-21-03, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
As I sit here right now, I have none of my xmas shopping done.
Old 12-21-03, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

ok

so maybe I shouldnt feel so bad...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-03, 03:09 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I know you are not alone.

Is there anybody you can ask to help even if it's with a small thing?
Old 12-21-03, 03:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
I like using the internet to shop, because they also ship it to whoever gets the gift. Otherwise I often get a gift but fail to mail it, so might as well get the mailing done at the same time. The tax savings and the general competitive climate on line more than pays for the $$ of shipping, but the convenience and surity that it will be mailed is priceless!

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 12-21-03, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
PS - lots of shopping left here too. I make up for it by buying gifts for loved ones out of the blue, whenever the feeling strikes me, for no reason at all. So if I don't catch them at the holidays I get them some other time. Also, the gifts I send tend to be a better match for the person since I'm buying for them when I see something for them.

Jon

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 12-21-03, 04:22 PM

andre is on a distinguished road
I have little material need, and I don't like to fuel that need in others, so christmas isn't really an issue.
Old 12-21-03, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

well, I tried the buy all year...but that only worked for bf...and that wasnt a lot of stuff...we already bought our xmas cards for next year-I'm hoping that might help...I still have to send out this years!!!
I'm so behind! Oh well I'm probably stressing fo rno reason I work better under pressure...*laugh*
Old 12-21-03, 05:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ace is on a distinguished road
Christmas-free-New-Year's-free zone in the Ace household. No cards, no gifts, no decrations, no parties, no guests. Okay, so maybe a little music, which is pretty hard to escape.

This is what works best for us, and has for many years.

And when I get the inevitable conversational-level question: Well, you all ready for the Holidays?!" I can always, always respond, "YUP, I AM!" And I can say that at any of the 365 days of the year.
Old 12-22-03, 11:13 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
Due to a lot of unforeseen events, I did much of my shopping last night at Target. It was much more fun than my daytime visit to the toy store a few days prior. Everyone seemed a little tired, but most recognized the humor in the situation. Most of us were probably ADD.

Except, of course, for the one woman in the next aisle who kept cursing at her shopping partner... I think she had other issues!
Old 12-22-03, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Well, thus far...I only nave one gift to get and MUST stick to my "schedule" to get everything done...we decided to not do stockings this year (thats my favorite park of xmas) but neither one of us has time to really get to do anything...I think I just might fill both of our stocking just cause...
Tonite I have to get my nails done, get my grocery shopping done, stamps for cards...finish addressing those...get those out in the AM...
Tuesday...make pies, chex mix and finish little things around the house...
Wed....Clean!
Thursday...Xmas
Friday my parents come over *rolling my eyes*
Saturday/Sunday I have off...and I dont think I'm gonna do anything except relax and clean...I need to get on a better sleep schedule and just relax...or at least try....
its gonna be a busy week...
Old 12-22-03, 02:28 PM

E-boy will become famous soon enough
Still no shopping done. In fairness to myself though, I only just returned unexpectedly from the middle east. Not much worth giving as a gift in a ship's store.

My wife and I have an agreement this year to forstall the usual pre-festivities fight. She will not insist she should not have to ask me to do things, and I rather than giving her the "I am a grown man and do not need to be reminded like a child" speech will simply do those things. She likes to do big entertainment productions for the extended family on the hollidays. The stress levels shut me down and then she typically gets upset because not only am I somewhere staring off into space, but there are a million obvious ways I can help that I am not noticing (or to her mind quite possibly ignoring).

I explained to her what happens to me and asked her if she would gently prod me into what needed doing. I told her one thing at a time because I would forget multiple instructions in that state. I told her no to be upset if I was less than chatty whilst this was going on as I would bounce back by the time the guests arrived if allowed to do so. She pointed out that I am overly defensive (Who knew?!) about needing to be reminded, even though it is abundantly clear I need the reminders. So, we compromised. She tell, I do. YAY!!!!!!! Now, if I can only figure out how to do that the rest of my natural life with her we will be all set. ;-)
Old 12-23-03, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

ok last night I got my shopping done...my grocerys are bought-but I had to cut back not happy about that...but cant help it since I really cant justify 40-50$ for a prime rib roast for 2 people...I still havent gotten out my xmas cards...I think they will get in with everyones thank you cards...
My family situation isnt the greatest...so it makes the holidays difficult...*rolling my eyes*
I have to clean tonite...get one gift wrapped...and relax a little. I'm whooped!
I just want to curl into a ball somewhere and just disappear until the 1st of the year...I feel like such a grinch!
Old 12-23-03, 02:09 PM

I got most of my Xmas shopping done. There's a couple of people I didn't get anything for yet. I'm either going to get them scratch tickets or gift certificates to Dunkin Donuts.

I haven't done my cards yet either...They are Holiday cards and say happy new year so I guess it won't be so bad if people get them after Thursday...lol
Old 12-23-03, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Well, tonite I have to do my pie baking-provided I can find the recipe...if not I'll have to call BF's mother...whoops!
I'm sorry I missed everyone Monday on Terry's chat...I was busy...I'm sure you all understand...
I scheduled a massage for Saturday...and they cancelled b/c of the holiday...dont they understand I am in great need????
*LOL*
talk to you later!~