ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-07, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I pace the floor endlessly....

I'm hyperkinetic. That means that that I'm always in motion. One of the things I do is to pace the floor. I have my own "runway" between the kitchen and livingroom... I pace back and forth all the time ,endlessly.

When I was a kid my father used to say that I pace the floor like a caged tiger It's just something that I do to keep from spilling over, to stay focused. If I'm overstimulated I pace in an attempt to rid myself of the excess mental activity.

Am I the only one here who does this ?

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-02-07, 09:50 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: I pace the floor endlessly....

Not by far at all, I pace constantly myself, I do it senselessly, it is just something I have always done.
Old 12-02-07, 09:50 AM

maori_boy is on a distinguished road

hey bro im the same, never sitting still, always moving, even when im on the compiuter, most of the time im not sitting there im doing like 5 things at once, cleaning the house, pacing, practicing rugby moves lol and anything really.
hyperactive then ay bro? yeah same here

If you aim for the mountains, you will hit the plains, if you aim for the sky, you will hit the mountain peaks, climb up, thrive
to the pathway of knowledge, to achieve excellence,
spiritually, mentally, physically
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 05:17 AM

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maori_boy
hey bro im the same, never sitting still, always moving, even when im on the compiuter, most of the time im not sitting there im doing like 5 things at once, cleaning the house, pacing, practicing rugby moves lol and anything really.
hyperactive then ay bro? yeah same here
ditto...since I have been here I have done dinner, cleaned the kitchen, made tomorrows lunches..watched the important part of the news..

walk walk walk..no wonder our legs are so thin

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 12-02-07, 10:35 AM

Thanked 5,923 Times in 4,297 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

I have been in trouble for rocking desks at schools through need to move -
moving floors in lecture theatres from tapping too hard
disturbing people on the other side of class rooms from banging my legs together at speed

need (sometimes) to walk to concentrate whilst blaring out music

have fallen off chairs - as I concentrate on balancing a chair on two legs - to get some 'core' muscles working (occasionally hurting my head)

- can only stop myself moving -
when the thoughts are sufficiently 'colourful' to supply all necessary stimulation

there are some things which we need do in life (apparently) -
- where we cannot apply ADD style flourish.
These represent the worst of nonADD world
- and usually involve a contrived form requiring obtrusive detail relating to a financial Institution's need to have in writing - some legally binding contract which awards them
the deeds to your house, wife and Internet friend's ferocious pet poodle - before offering an overdraft of 50.00 - at 30% per annum compound interest rate on every minus penny -
- all letters chargeable at a flat rate of 50 -
- regardless of whether they were sent to you by some administrative blunder on their behalf.

'Yes - we realise that it's our mistake - but who is going to cover the cost of our error?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
"Me???"
'Hey - now you're gettin' it'

IGNORE LIST BEING USED - 8 ENTRIES
T - 1 before communication becomes futile.
Old 12-02-07, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maori Boy
Whakaki te Maunga, Tae ki te Whenua, Hoki ki te Rangi, Tae ki te Pukerunga, Piki ake piki ake, Ki te ara Poutama, Ki nga Taumatatanga e Wairua Hinengaro Tinana

If you aim for the mountains, you will hit the plains, if you aim for the sky, you will hit the mountain peaks, climb up, thrive

That's an outstanding quote -
- without even a single mention of money -
funny that.
Quote:
If you thrash wildly in an unflushed toilet bowl
You will be blessed with the same stench which money impregnates into our one world.
scrubbin' won't help any -
forlorn hope without painfully shedding our skin
and
feeling raw
to whimper of dying amorality.

Old 12-02-07, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

absane will become famous soon enough

I pace when I am bored or waiting for something. I also pace when I am excited. I randomly leave my computer to walk to the other end of the house, only to turn around to come right back. When I am at work, I'll stop what I am doing to walk to a different location just to see if there is something more exciting to do.

I walk and pace very fast. I've had random people on the street ask me why I am in such a hurry. I tell them "I'mnot in a hurry, I just walk fast." If they ask why I walk fast I say "because I can and I want to."

I find it funny that when I am stuck on a problem I cannot solve, I can doscover the solution just by getting up from my chair and walking 20 feet.
Old 12-02-07, 11:19 AM

maori_boy is on a distinguished road

lol haha SBUK
yeah get rid of money go bak to hunting for food ay bro and makn our own houses - survival, that would be mean!

on topic yeah absane i do the exact same thing, il walk somehwere and change direction to walk somehwere else to look for something? i dunno why and then go bak in the same direction. Why do we seem to think better when we are moving?

Old 12-02-07, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

absane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maori_boy
on topic yeah absane i do the exact same thing, il walk somehwere and change direction to walk somehwere else to look for something? i dunno why and then go bak in the same direction. Why do we seem to think better when we are moving?
When I am at school and I'm in between classes with nothing to do, I will walk all around downtown just to keep sane. I go to GSU in downtown Atlanta so I've got a lot of places I can walk to. I'm not doing it for exercise or siteseeing, but to keep sane and to mull over some issues I want to think about. My brain goes stale and I get antsy when I sitting down longer than 3 minutes.

We think better while moving for a few reasons. One reason, and this is for everyone, is that more oxygen can flow to the brain. What's different about us (I think) is that the neurons in the brain associated with movement start to spill over its activities to other parts of the brain. I guess this may be electrical activity or spillage of neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and dopamine. I can attest that I get WAY more excited over a thought of mine when I am walking than I do if I get the exact same idea while sitting down in a chair. I think it's because of my unverified theory

Edit: and what I find interesting is that if I have an idea that I get a bit excited about while I am sitting down, I immediately get this urge to get up from my seat and start pacing back and forth. The kind of excitement I am talking about is the "poop in your pants" excitement.
Old 12-02-07, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by absane
One reason, and this is for everyone, is that more oxygen can flow to the brain. .
I used to like standing on my head (lying on my bed up against walls) as a kid which gave me a head-rush, helping to reduce frustration I think. I don't much now but still pace around.
Old 12-02-07, 11:26 AM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

I think that maybe the pacing creates enough stimulation to drown out sensory "noise" that keeps us distracted. Constant motion is soothing to me.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-02-07, 06:20 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

I know that the movement allows me to have ideas flow better in my head. A lot less scattered and speedo something that may promote more movement is Risperdal, I know the drug made me more restless myself.
Old 12-03-07, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspenpal
I know the drug made me more restless myself.
Do you prowl?

when restless.

Old 12-03-07, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

MonkeyGirl is on a distinguished road

I have a stationary bike in my living room, now I'm on sick leave now, but when I could and can train, I get on that bike. Even if I was jogging in the morning, etc. After an hour on the bike my behind feels uncomfortable, and I get off. But all I want to do is get right back on it for another hour. It's funny, when my heart rate is between 150-170 my mind feels normal, working, sort of light. I feel great. And normal.

Walking around - I hate it. It's usually because I forget absolutely everything and have to go back for it.
Old 12-03-07, 05:11 AM

If we are hungry and need 1000 calories -
and will stop being hungry when we have eaten 1000 calories
and if we have a foodstuff - let us call it A (A tastes nice) -
and another - let us call it C - which isn't nice
though has the same calorie density -
then
... we will be full (no longer hungry) if we eat either
1 unit of A and 1 unit of C -
or
2 units of A

(or 2 units of C - but we're not stupid)

Let's say that A is bad for us and C isn't.

The solution is to dilute A.

So - for this story to make any sense whatsoever - and to make things easier for any poodles who frequent this establishment -

all we need is the equivalent of food A and food C in terms of activities which elicit neural stimulation

... and a mechanism which involves neurones - which
(i)enforces the need for food (to eat enough)
and then for
(ii)stopping when we've eaten just enough -
where enough means enough - not too much -
so ... ... 1000 calories +/- 5% maybe???
sounds good -
- 'wobble' must be built in - we'll never be able to sense 1000.000 calories - to that level of accuracy and then stop abruptly at that point -
- our biosensors are not that finely tuned.

So ... ...

(i)enough (- Sufficient to trigger an action potential)
Quote:
Originally Posted by google search terms (neuron,threshold)
When the depolarization reaches about -55 mV a neuron will fire an action potential. This is the threshold.
(ii)but not too much (- To prevent the spectre of desensitization)
Quote:
Originally Posted by google search terms (neuron,desensitize)
neurons rapidly desensitized to repeated challenge with SP and slowly resensitized.
Quote:
hillbilly