ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 03-26-08, 08:40 PM

chaznsc is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse - Hello and My tale on the med

Hello,
I have been lurking here for a week and I am apprehensive about posting for fear I will hear I am doing this all wrong. But here goes:

I am a 43 y/o male with ADD-inattentive type. I have "chased" a depression issue off and on for a few years, taking Zoloft for that. I found tho that I was growing ever more sluggish and well, unmotivated but NOT sad or "depressed," just out of any real motivating energy.

I have always ignored the ADD part, partly because I dealt with it on my own for MOST of my life. I have a job where I handle multiple projects, the IT needs for the office, web design and creative elements for the company, etc. When I hit my mid 30's I hit a wall that I have never really overcome completely. Thats where the meds like Zoloft came into the picture.

Perhaps a stupid way to approach my ADD, but growing up in the 70's the closest thing I ever heard about ADHD was a "hyperactive" kid I knew. I was not and am not hyperactive.

I work for a mid sized Civil Engineering firm. I do not have a college education, afraid college was not for me. More or less self taught, fell into the profession quite by accident, and been with the company for 23 years. Got my certification as a Planner last year which was quite an accomplishement for someone who academic success eluded.

I have a son who also has ADD-innatentive, he takes Adderall and does fairly well on it. A really great teacher in the 4th grade pulled along side him and helped us all thru that year, not being a bully like so many teachers tend to be.

Anyhow, I am rambling. My Dr. started me last week on Vyvanse, 70mg. Here is my progress for your review and comment:

DAY 1 - Stunning focus, energized, and a slight lift in mood. I have never been on a stimulant so pardon how suprised I was. I was able to focus on writing and technical papers which I have not been able to in QUITE SOME TIME, years in fact. Needless to say, NO SLEEP FOR CHAZ!

DAY 2 - Similar to day 1 except I was able to get some sleep that night, but not much, LOL. Again, was able to focus on writing some technical policy for my staff, as well as my usual schedule of meetings and design issues. Feeling fairly energized and focused, with that same slight "lift" in mood, not giddy, but definitely a different feeling. I actually felt like talking to co-workers for things other than "please pass the paper clips".

DAY 3 - 5 - No major changes, the energized feeling has slightly tapered off. Sleeping pretty good if not better than normal.....whatever normal is

DAY 7 - The medication stops working at noon, or shortly thereafter. I didnt "crash" so to speak, but it was like I was out there all alone. I found I was VERY sensitive to noise in the office. I slept very well that night.

DAY 8 - Just like Day 7 except last night I didnt feel very good at all, kind of like I bounced. I felt that same almost peculiar ability to focus on noises outside my office, a little irritable too. I didnt bite anyone, but still. More of a depressed "mood" last night, not crying, but not 100%. I went to bed early, well, around 9:30pm. Slept very well.

DAY 9 - The medication takes another turn. Been with me all day, but have felt a little more "light headed" than any of the other days. My focus is pretty good, but have felt a little "out there" most of the day. Hard to explain the feeling. Of course, could be partly to blame on allergies, I failed to take my claritin today and the pollen is blowing like a snowstorm.

I wanted to see what you expereinced ADD-ers felt about my experience and whether I should change it, hang it up, etc. I am not feeling bad, but my break-in period is somewhat scattered in regards to my body / mind reaction experiences.

Thats it, thanks for listening.

chaz
Old 03-26-08, 09:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

GuardianAngel has a spectacular aura aboutGuardianAngel has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vyvanse - Hello and My tale on the med

I need to know a few things.

1) diet I need to know what you are eating and when.... this is very very important for stimulant based meds like vyvanse.

2) what medications or supplements are you taking other than vyvnase.

3) have you had any major changes in habits etc...

it may be as simple as needed a slight adjustment in dosing but it may also be something simple that is tripping you up.
Old 03-26-08, 09:38 PM

I need to know a few things.

1) diet I need to know what you are eating and when.... this is very very important for stimulant based meds like vyvanse.

I didnt eat breakfast this morning, well, one bite of a waffle. Had a sandwich for lunch (lean cuisine around 2pm). Had chicken noodle casserole for supper.

2) what medications or supplements are you taking other than vyvnase.

Zoloft (25mg) every other day - Been trying to wean off, having that electric shock thing going on so I have hung in there.

3) have you had any major changes in habits etc...

No habit changes.

it may be as simple as needed a slight adjustment in dosing but it may also be something simple that is tripping you up.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

chaz
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-08, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold

Dr. Charles Parker seems to be the most detailed blogger on how to take Vyvanse. I believe he actually worked with/for Shire - so disclaimer there. He emphasizes again and again to "go low and slow" when starting Vyvanse. You might want to look at some of his articles. Here's one of many; it provides an overview of Vyvanse with info on titration, protein breakfast, etc.:

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/08...d-treatme.html
The Following User Says Thank You to wifeandmom For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-29-08)
Old 03-27-08, 10:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

GuardianAngel has a spectacular aura aboutGuardianAngel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc

I didnt eat breakfast this morning, well, one bite of a waffle. Had a sandwich for lunch (lean cuisine around 2pm). Had chicken noodle casserole for supper.

this is not good.... you need to eat... that may be part of the problem, I noticed that at least with me I was getting a low blood sugar "fuzz" that was obscuring the effects of the medication if I did not have a high protein breakfast ( this is of KEY IMPORTANCE) and at least eat a decent lunch.

I was never a breakfast person so for me it goes like this ... I make a protein shake and 3 eggs whites with cheese... this is something I have to FORCE into my routine or else I am useless after about 1:30pm if I do have a good breakfast and a decent lunch ( try to stay away from nutritionally deficient food because your desire to eat will for most people (blueyeyore doent count for this) be vastly diminished. So make certain you are getting a solid breakfast and lunch and see if it helps.
Old 03-27-08, 11:15 AM

After your initial message I realized I would probably be scolded for not eating LOL. I am new to stimulant medication so this is a bit of a learning curve for me.

I had eggs and bacon this morning. I feel MUCH better today. Upbeat, focused, without being or feeling lightheaded or agitated.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again for the helpful response, it means a lot.

chaz
Old 03-27-08, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

no problem if you have any questions or any specifics you'd like to know just send me a PM or post it here if you don't mind it being public.
Old 03-27-08, 06:00 PM
Jr Member

vanessa se is on a distinguished road

I just started Vyvanse yesterday, 30 mg a day. I was switched from Adderall 60 mg a day (I know, I know, it's a high dosage). It's only day 2, but so far I like this medicine better in some ways than Adderall. First of all, it calms me down and doesn't make me jittery like the Adderall does. Second of all, for me there really was no "crash." I knew the Vyvanse had worn off yesterday when I started feeling drowsy, I actually got 3 hours of sleep as opposed to consecutive days without sleep when taking Adderall, and I also feel a boost in mood, which is important for me since I also have depression. So far so good, but the pill wears off in about 4-5 hours for me. I feel like the dosage is a little too low because when it wears off, well, it's extremely hard to function when it happens midday.
Old 03-27-08, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

not to harp on it but what do you eat?

I am taking 50 mg so I can see how you may think 30mg is low, ( compared to 60 of adderall it is low.... )

I like my vyvanse very much... it helps alot ... I have become a bit of a Vyvanse evangelist.
Old 03-28-08, 04:43 PM
Jr Member

vanessa se is on a distinguished road

For breakfast, I usually have toast with butter. I usually have a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner. It's not the best diet, but money's tight right now.
Old 03-29-08, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

you need to get some high quality protein in your diet, walmart has whey powder for about $18 for a two weeks supply, that's about $1.10 a day which is more expensve than just toast but still reasonable... if that is too much cut it in half , you will still get the equivalent of 3 egg whites worth of protein for 55 cents a day, and if you use skim milk you get 4 eggs worth :-) and it will help the meds alot.