ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-03, 10:31 PM
Jr Member

yinrycher is on a distinguished road
Hi, im new

Hi, Im a 30 year old single mom of 2 children 12 and 4. My 12 year old daughter is gifted and when she was younger was hyper but not as bad as her brother is.

My 4 year old Stephan was evaluated in August after 9 months of my trying to convince the doctors that his hyperness was more then him just being a boy and was actually getting worse. The evaluation that was done showed that my son was intelligent for his age (actually above average), was below average in verbal and that he was add w/ hyperactivity but that this was more then likely caused by my "current living conditions".

My neurologist and my son's pediatrician both disagreed that the living conditions were the cause, and although they were hesitant they put him on Ritalin (5 mg) per day. He responded well initially and after one month was moved to 10 mg. After 2 weeks he was removed due to violent behaviour towards his cousin and myself. We are now trying Adderall at 20 mg a day and somedays you can tell the difference and other days you cant. He refuses to take the meds so I have to disguise it in yougurt or similar substances or he will chew it and not take it at all. He actually spits it out first chance he gets.

We are going to UNC @ chapel hill on the 25th of April for another evaluation. Im not exactly sure what all they will be doing but I am hoping that this will help my son as the stress alone has caused my migraines to come back full force and I feel like I did something that caused this to happen to my son even though I know its nothing I did.

Well that is my situation currently Thanks for reading.

Yin

Stress, its a killer-Bartok the Bat
Old 03-31-03, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!!!
Old 03-31-03, 10:57 PM
Jr Member

Thanks, been looking for places like this since my son was diagnosed.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-03, 11:00 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,860 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums This is a great place filled with lots of really nice, helpful and informed folks. Nice to see you here

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-31-03, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Spirit has disabled reputation
Greetings Yin!!

Welcome to ADD Forum. Sounds like you have your hands full. I too had to disguise boogiebutts meds when she first started taking it. But now it's just another part of her life.

Please let us know how the eval goes. I'm curious as to what they will have to say. As for that dr. whom eval'd him and said it was due to his living condition (rolls her eyes), what a quack.

Hon, I will tell you from experience you are not the cause of your sons problems. It is just another hurdle in our lives to test how strong we are. Hey look at it this way it's training for when we are grandparents and can spoil our grandkids rotten

Sorry to hear about your migrains as well. I get those nasty things myself, not as much now since I had a complete hysterectomy but when I get stressed or eat to much chinese food I still get them.

Good luck, Huggz
Old 04-01-03, 12:14 AM
Jr Member

Thanks I tend to forget at times and remind myself. The funny thing about my migraines is they all started when I was pregnant with my son. I know that once we get things with my son settled and things are back to being in a regular set schedule things will become "normal" and they should abate again.

*laughs* You have a boogiebutt and I have a boogerboy. That was the only name he would come to when he was younger. Now he tells everyone proudly "My name is Stephan Mikael".

Old 04-02-03, 02:09 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
Welcome Yin to our small corner of the cyber world. I think youre going to be quite at home here.
Old 04-02-03, 10:32 PM
Jr Member

Thanks, I hope I do as well *smiles*

Old 04-02-05, 12:21 AM

Itsme is on a distinguished road
yinrycher,
welcome as i am new here also.WOW,someone is actually from NC,I just moved here from michigan 2 months ago.We live in Raeford near Fayetteville.We started going to UNC as well with my little girl.She is 7 years old and we have been going through a lot with her ADHD and medications.If you have not been to UNC they are wonderful and they will help you out well.They have been great with my little girl.I want to mention also that my little girl is 7 years old and she is VERY smart as well and she is severly ADHD,I find that ADHD children are very smart most anyhow and there brains have nothing to do with that.When they say just because they are above there ages they are not hyper and its the home life that is BS,dont take the blame for that.It is not your fault and these doctors and pshy docs need to do there jobs and help.i am sorry but I get so upset when I see someone get blammed for there childrens behaviors yea grant it sometimes children do act out if there having it rough at home but you know best and i would stick with the UNC apt because they are wonderful there.im sorry I can tqalk for hours and if you need someone to talk to just send me a message.keep us updated and i hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
Old 04-02-05, 12:24 AM

Itsme is on a distinguished road
boy do i feel like a fool i did not even relieze that this post was from march of 2003 and i talked away.i dont pay attention to the dates but i will now,lol.
Old 04-03-05, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forums

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.