ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-02-10, 02:13 AM

illmakeitsomeda is on a distinguished road
Why is it so complicated to get diagnosed?

I went to my first appointment today with my doctor, which I had to wait 5 whole weeks for. And now i have to go through 3 whole different doctors over the period of a few weeks to get merely diagnosed.

I just want my script, I am 100% certain I have this disorder, and I dont know how I could prove it but I could if they wanted me to.

Why is it so damn complicated?

And why do they want me to do an IQ test????

What other tests do they do before they FINALLY medicate you?
Old 02-02-10, 02:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why is it so complicated to get diagnosed?

You have to fit the particular psychologists preconceptions about being ADHD.
Old 02-02-10, 07:43 AM

Sometimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmakeitsomeda View Post
I just want my script,
Why is it so damn complicated?
Because the drugs they use to treat it act like coke/meth.
Because if you don't like coke/meth you can sell it for a lot more than you pay for it.
But for some reason I have a feeling you know that all ready.
That being said, I got my script in all of 10 mins
Patience, if you have it they will treat you.

Last edited by APSJ; 02-02-10 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Removed political statement. See guidelines.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-10, 08:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's good that it's a process, maybe not a 3-doctor process, but I don't want people just to be able to walk into a doc and say "I'm ADHD, give me a prescription" That tells me that that person is possibly abusing the prescription and maybe not even ADHD. It also tells me that the doc doesn't care about his/her patients to really make sure the diagnosis is correct.

If you take a look at 50 things that Mimic ADHD there are other things that could cause ADHD-like traits.

Working with your ADHD is not just being handed a prescription, for many it's taking meds, but it's also learning coping skills.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-02-10), peripatetic (02-05-10)
Old 02-05-10, 05:58 AM

Sasa_Re is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed year ago. had ADHD all my life, but over here in Bosnia in those days no one heard about that sindrom...so i suffered all my life, and my own sister is MD. last year she was looking for way to help me and discovered possibilty that I have ADHD. she find great psychiatrist ...btw great person. I took sesries of test over 15 days, and that was it. for me it was hard because no one knew nothing about adult ADHD.
Old 02-05-10, 07:08 AM
Jr Member

DaveyJones is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat as illmakeitsomeda
Old 02-05-10, 09:55 AM

lctrfly is on a distinguished road

If you go straight to a neurologist they can usually do most of the testing right there and get a diag sooner - if not in a couple of visits, at least w/o having to go to several doctors.

Also every doctor will have their own take on what the process should be - there really isnt a standard.

I hope you get what you need soon!